Yearly Review: WWF October 1990
August 15, 2012 Leave a comment
A new challenger steps up for the WWF World Championship. A title “changes hands” but it is never aired. Plus, a manager reunites with a tag team!
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: The Ultimate Warrior)
A new challenger has stepped forward for the Ultimate Warrior in the form of Randy “Macho Man” Savage and Sensational Sherri. During the October 10th taping of Wrestling Challenge, Savage made it clear that after he gets Warrior in the ring, he will take the belt and Warrior will be known as the “Ultimate Loser”.
On the house show market, Warrior would continue to have matches with Demolition but would also square off against Savage. Most of the time, Savage would win the matches by count-out.
The fourth Main Event special was taped on October 30th and Warrior defended the championship against Ted DiBiase. Warrior retained the championship by disqualification when Virgil got involved. Randy Savage made a statement when he attacked Warrior from behind and ended up hitting a top rope elbow drop.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: Kerry Von Erich)
Von Erich continued to mainly work with Mr. Perfect on the house show market. More times than not, Perfect would actually beat Von Erich by count-out. Von Erich did compete against Demolition Smash in a match that promoted their Survivor Series match with their team members getting involved afterward. There hasn’t much development regarding the feud.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: The Hart Foundation)
Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart continued to compete in tag matches against the team of the Honkytonk Man and Greg Valentine. There wasn’t much angle advancement between these two teams. At a taping of WWF Superstars taping on October 29th, Bret Hart pinned the Honkytonk Man in a singles match. The Hart Foundation has had all the momentum in the feud with Honky and Valentine.
While that feud may be stalling, an interesting turn of events occurred on October 30th during a WWF Wrestling Challenge taping. The Rockers won the WWF World Tag Team Championships in a best two out of three falls match against the Hart Foundation. However, during the bout the top rope broke and it was deemed that the match could not be shown. Thus, the title change was never mentioned and it is as if the Rockers had never won the championships.
- The feud between Rick Martel and Jake Roberts continued during the October 6th taping of WWF Superstars. Martel taunted Roberts with a cane since Roberts was blinded the previous month by Martel and his fragrance. Martel would end up slapping Roberts before leaving the stage. This all happened on the Brother Love Show. I mention that because Roberts would DDT Brother Love thinking it was Martel. At the October 10th taping of WWF Wrestling Challenge, Roberts tried to attack Rick Martel but instead accidentally attacked Tito Santana due to his impaired vision.
- Rick Rude was suspended by WWF Jack Tunney. In reality, Rude has left the WWF due to a contract issue.
- Ted DiBiase continued his feud with the Rhodes family. During the October 9th taping of WWF Superstars, Dustin Rhodes was able to survive ten minutes in the ring with DiBiase and thus won the match.
- Also during the October 9th taping of WWF Superstars, Demolition attacked the Legion of Doom during a match with the Orient Express. It was revealed then that Mr. Fuji had reunited with Demolition!
- Sgt. Slaughter continued his undefeated streak in the WWF since returning to the promotion.