Written by: Bob Colling
World Wrestling Federation presents Wrestling Challenge
From: Madison, WI
1.) WWF Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels defeated Jim Brunzell
2.) Tatanka defeated George Petrovsky
3.) Bob Backlund defeated Dale Wolfe
4.) Bam-Bam Bigelow defeated Buck Zumhoff
5.) Steiner Brothers defeated WT Jones & Red Tyler
1. The crowd is red hot for the show as Brunzell was able to get some offense in against Michaels. Brunzell withstands some more offense to put a sleeper on Michaels but isn’t able to keep the hold on. Michaels is nearly caught sleeping as Brunzell rolls him up for a near fall. Brunzell gets another two count following a standing dropkick. Michaels nails Brunzell with a super kick to the gut and picks up the win. It was a pretty good match as the fans were really vocal for Brunzell’s offense which was surprising.
2. Lord Alfred Hayes hosts the Special Report. Bobby Heenan has a pre-tape promo during the segment where he puts down Mr. Perfect who claims to be the perfect wrestler. He is going to unveil someone who is beyond perfect at Royal Rumble. The man is in love with himself. This man will make Perfect look back and realize he isn’t perfect. Heenan reveals the man’s name as being Narcissis.
3. The undefeated Tatanka picked up an easy win following a Samoan Drop. During the bout, the mystery green haired clown (Doink) appeared on the aisle way and was mocking Tatanka who celebrated his win.
4. Sean Mooney hosts the Event Center. Several WWF wrestlers were at a press conference at MSG where the WWF will be the first entertainment group to donate to Somalia. All proceeds for their January 29th show will be donated. Mooney promotes a few matches for the show which will see WWF World Champion Bret Hart defend against Bam-Bam Bigelow and Ric Flair will meet Mr. Perfect. Flair cut a pre-tape promo on Perfect where he said that he is ready and waiting for Perfect at MSG.
5. Footage from WWF Mania is shown where Razor Ramon choked Owen Hart after hitting him with a trash can in the locker room area.
6. Bob Backlund picked up a win over Dale Wolfe with a roll up. To me, the 1970s style is just not exciting for entertaining, sorry Backlund!
7. A video promoting the WWF World Champion Bret Hart vs. Razor Ramon match at Royal Rumble is aired. The video also promotes the Royal Rumble match.
8. Raymond Rougeau introduces Kamala, Kimchee and Harvey Wippleman out to the podium area for an interview. Harvey says that Kamala is not the same man and puts him down as being an idiot but he has changed and will listen to them. Rev. Slick comes out and says he can’t allow Harvey to come out here and talk all this smack. Slick says that Kamala is not an animal but a man! Slick wouldn’t treat Kamala the way he has been treated by Harvey and Kimchee. Harvey and Kimchee leave with Kamala, who is hesitant but is slapped to leave. The seed to a baby face turn for Kamala has been planted.
9. Bam-Bam Bigelow continues his winning ways as he destroyed Buck Zumhoff and won following a top rope diving head butt.
10. Mean Gene hosts the Royal Rumble Report. WWF World Champion Bret Hart says that Razor Ramon has gotten his attention and says that the Hart Family will get revenge! Randy Savage shares some thoughts on the Royal Rumble match where he pretty much goes over the point of the Rumble and believes he will win. the Undertaker and Paul Bearer also share their thoughts on the Rumble. Taker talks about having twenty nine new souls to take care of. Yokozuna and Mr. Fuji also have some pre-tape comments where Fuji says Yokozuna will win the Rumble. Ric Flair also has some thoughts as he believes you have to talk about him when the Rumble is mentioned. Flair is coming for Mr. Perfect! Mr. Perfect also chimes in with some thoughts as he believes this is the perfect opportunity to win a title shot. Jerry Lawler talks about the Royal Rumble possibly living up to its name as real royalty will win the match.
11. The main even this week saw the Steiner Brothers successfully make their debut when they easily defeated WT Jones & Red Tyler when Scott pinned Tyler following a top rope DDT as Rick held Tyler on his shoulders. During the bout, the Steiner’s cut a promo on their match against the Beverly Brothers at the Royal Rumble. Also, Doink the Clown was seen in the crowd during the match.
12. Sean Mooney hosts the Event Center to close the show. Mr. Perfect shared a pre-tape promo as he wrestles Razor Ramon on January 9th. He doesn’t appear nervous about the challenge but Mooney suggests that he really is.
I thought this was a good first episode for 1993. The fans were really into the first match which was surprising to me. I didn’t really expect Michaels to struggle against Brunzell but I suppose it’s not that big of a deal, really.
It was interesting to see angles actually develop on the Wrestling Challenge. The Kamala segment was done nicely, I thought. The debut of the Steiner Brothers was executed great as they looked to be on the top of their game with a sick finishing move.
Overall, the show did a good job of promoting the Royal Rumble and provided some entertaining squash matches.
31-year old currently living in Syracuse, New York. Longtime fan of the New York Mets, Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Vikings. Avid fan of professional wrestling and write reviews/articles on the product. Usually focusing on the old school wrestling.