Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Saturday Night
From: Atlanta, GA
1.) WCW Television Champion Lord Steven Regal defeated Terry Taylor to retain the title
2.) Pretty Wonderful defeated Scott Studd & Brady Boone
3.) Johnny B. Badd defeated Tony Zane
4.) Cactus Jack & Maxx Payne defeated Mark Kyle & Robbie Eagle
5.) The Colossal Kongs defeated Scott D’Amore & Ben Jordan
6.) The Shockmaster defeated JL Sullivan
7.) Brian Pillman defeated Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker
8.) 2 Cold Scorpio & Marcus Alexander Bagwell defeated Pat Rose & JD Wolfe
9.) WCW United States Champion Steve Austin defeated Sting by disqualification
1. Tony, Jesse and Mean Gene talk about Ric Flair winning the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and Steve Austin winning the WCW United States Championship at Starrcade 1993. Tonight, Steve Austin will wrestle Sting!
2. A promotional video looking at Ric Flair’s life leading up to his match at Starrcade against Vader is aired.
3. A lot of mat wrestling to start the Regal vs. Taylor contest. Taylor tries to pin Regal by simply mounting him after getting out of an arm lock but that didn’t work for him. Taylor controls Regal for several minutes with a body scissors but Regal doesn’t give up. Regal tried to put an STF on Taylor but the move was quickly countered by Taylor into a hammerlock. Later on, Taylor nearly wins with a butterfly suplex but Regal popped out at two. They exchange a few rollups with Regal getting the better of the exchange and was able to pin Taylor. It was a rather boring contest. If you like simple mat wrestling and arm holds for several minutes then I guess you will greatly enjoy this one. I simply didn’t.
4. We get comments from Col. Robert Parker and WCW United States Champion Steve Austin. Parker says that tonight’s match with Sting brings them one step closer to the gold and all the money.
5. Pretty Wonderful had their way against Brady Boone and Scott Studd. Orndorff planted Studd with a pile driver and Roma pinned Studd with one finger. They are quickly climbing the tag team ranks.
6. Mean Gene hosts the Control Center to talk about Starrcade 1993. Gene highlights Steve Austin winning the WCW United States Championship by defeating Dustin Rhodes. They actually show footage from the event. Teddy Long won the Manager of the Year award. Gene lastly talks about Ric Flair winning the WCW World Heavyweight Championship by beating Vader.
7. Johnny B. Badd was in action against Tony Zane. Badd won the squash match following a top rope sunset flip, which he over shot. After the match, Mean Gene interviews Johnny B. Badd. Badd has a major announcement saying that Michael PS Hayes is coming out of retirement to team with Badd. Shanghai Pierce and Tex Slazenger come out. Tex challenges Badd to take his mask off because Badd calls him ugly. They take offence to being called ugly.
8. Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne continued to beat any opposition. Payne won the bout for his team by forcing Mark Kyle to submit to the Payne Killer. After the match, Mean Gene interviews Jack and Payne. Jack says he and Payne are soul mates. They think alike, eat alike and train alike. Jack makes it clear they need the WCW World Tag Team Championships that the Nasty Boys currently hold.
9. It takes the Colossal Kongs maybe one minute to win their tag match. Both Kongs splash D’Amore to pick up the quick win. Harley Race shared pre-tape comments saying that Ric Flair is a marked man since winning the WCW World Heavyweight Championship from Vader.
10. The Shockmaster didn’t mess anything up during his match with JL Sullivan. Shockmaster earned the win following a spine buster.
11. Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker tried his hardest to get long lasting offense against Brian Pillman and after a few minutes was able to control the high flyer by working on his left knee. Pillman is able to use his healthy leg to kick Parker in the head. Pillman connects with a middle rope clothesline and begins to hammer away on Parker. Pillman hits a missile dropkick off the top and pins Parker.
12. Mean Gene interviews Brian Pillman who now has a chicken suit. Pillman says that it is a Col. Robert Parker self portrait. Pillman rips on Parker calling him a chicken and says that Parker is going to wish he was back on the farm.
13. The young tandem of Marcus Alexander Bagwell and 2 Cold Scorpio kicked off 1994 on the right foot as they took care of business against Pat Rose and JD Wolfe. Scorpio pinned Rose following a 450 splash off the top rope. Mean Gene interviews Bagwell, Scorpio and Teddy Long after the match. Long says his Christmas was ruined because of Pretty Wonderful. Long challenges Pretty Wonderful to challenge his guys next week to end the feud. Scorpio is going to put Roma and Orndorff in deep freeze. Bagwell says they are going to win the WCW World Tag Team Championships again in 1994.
14. The main event starts off rather slow with both Austin and Sting feeling the other man out. Sting kicks Austin to the floor and they stall for a few moments. Austin bails to the floor after nearly being pinned by Sting on a backslide attempt. Sting continues to get near wins after a suplex. Austin crotches Sting on the top rope and connects with a superplex. Austin works on Sting’s arm for several minutes. Sting battles back right hands and a back drop. Brian Pillman runs down to the ring and chases Col. Robert Parker into the ring. Pillman ends up punching Austin and that causes the disqualification. Sting goes to put the Scorpion Death Lock but the referee prevents him from doing so. Brian Pillman enters the ring and is upset that he cost Sting the match. Honestly, that was a bad match. There wasn’t much other than rest holds and stalling. It was a very disappointing match to me.
15. Mean Gene interviews Steve Austin and Col. Robert Parker. Parker is mad that Pillman got involved in Austin’s match. Parker thinks that Austin had Sting beat in the ring. Austin says that if Pillman wanted him he just had to come at him. Austin feels great but is gasping for air, which is hilarious. Col. Parker says that he is getting Rick Rude to team with Steve Austin to wrestle Brian Pillman and Sting next week!
Well, this wasn’t all that exciting to watch. I had a lot of optimism for the main event and that failed to deliver badly. The other segments really just highlighted what happened at Starrcade or were just squash matches that didn’t offer much entertainment value at all. I thought it was an overall boring show, but hopefully next week’s double main event will be a bounce back episode.
Thanks for reading.