Yearly Review: WWF July 1991
A busy month for the WWF. Plenty of new talent debuts for the company.
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Hulk Hogan)
Throughout the month, Hogan continued to successfully defend the championship against Sgt. Slaughter with most of the matches having the Desert Storm stipulation. Hogan also wrestled the Undertaker during the July 29th taping of Superstars and was able to beat him in less than five minutes.
Hogan will team with the Ultimate Warrior next month to wrestle Slaughter, Adnan and Mustafa at SummerSlam.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: Mr. Perfect)
Mr. Perfect didn’t wrestle much during the month due to a nagging back injury. The few matches he did compete in where against the British Bulldog. Perfect will defend the championship against Bret Hart at SummerSlam.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: The Nasty Boys)
The Nasty Boys successfully defended their championships against the Hart Foundation at the July 1st MSG show. The match would mark the last time Bret and Neidhart would team for roughly six years. The rest of the month saw the Nasty Boys lose to the Legion of Doom by count-out on the house shows.
The champions will defend the championships against the Legion of Doom at SummerSlam.
– Ultimate Warrior and Undertaker continue their heated feud with bodybag match on the July 1st MSG house show. Warrior would win the match.
– Sid Justice made his in-ring debut during the July 8th taping of Wrestling Challenge. The match wasn’t televised, but Sid defeated Ted DiBiase in his first match with the WWF. Sid would be announced as the special referee for the main event match at SummerSlam.
– Jake Roberts and Earthquake continued their feud. Roberts would beat Earthquake at the MSG show on July 1st. Earthquake and Typhoon tried to squash Jake’s snake at the July 9th taping of WWF Superstars, but Andre the Giant helped Roberts to prevent that from happening.
– Dino Bravo no longer has blonde hair and during the July 9th taping of Superstars, would turn babyface by punching Mountie in the face.
– Jake Roberts revealed during a Funeral Parlor segment on July 9th taping of Superstars that he was going to teach the Ultimate Warrior about the dark side and tell him what he needs to do to beat the Undertaker.
– Sensational Sherri revealed during the July 29th taping of Superstars that she wanted to slap Randy Savage and puke on Elizabeth due to all the marriage talk.
– During the July 29th taping of Superstars, Bobby Heenan revealed the NWA World Championship and announced that Ric Flair was going to be joining the WWF soon. Roddy Piper would enter the scene with the intent to spit on the championship.
– Skinner made his TV debut during the July 29th taping of Superstars. He wrestles alligators as his gimmick.
– Ted DiBiase would continue to have matches with Virgil on the house show market and they would trade wins. DiBiase also teamed with IRS on a few occasions during the month.
There weren’t any major events televised this month.