Yearly Review: WWF September 1991
A former turncoat tries to get his country back, Ric Flair is making a mark in the WWF quickly. Plus, much more!
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Hulk Hogan)
Hogan didn’t compete in any matches for the entire month. Thus, there weren’t any new developments for the WWF World Championship.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: Bret Hart)
For most of the month, Bret Hart retained the championship against the likes of The Warlord, IRS and Ted DiBiase during the month. It appeared that Bret started a new feud with the Mountie during the September 30th taping of Superstars. They had a match where Mountie’s manager Jimmy Hart dumped water on Bret and Mountie used his cattle prod to shock the champion.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: Legion of Doom)
The Legion of Doom successfully defended their championships against the former champs, the Nasty Boys throughout the month. LOD also defeated the Natural Disasters several times by disqualification to retain the championships in their meetings. Other than that, there weren’t any major developments regarding the tag team titles.
– The Beverly Brothers revealed during the September 7th episode of Superstars that the Genius is their new manager.
– Tito Santana’s new character El Matador started to appear on television with vignettes starting on the September 21st episode of Superstars.
– Randy Savage is trying to get Jack Tunney to overturn his retirement but WWF President Jack Tunney refuses to let that happen. So, Sid Justice steps in and tells Randy Savage that he would get revenge for Savage since he couldn’t do it himself.
– The King of the Ring tournament returned on September 7th, 1991 from Providence, RI. The finals of the tournament saw WWF Intercontinental Champion Bret Hart defeat IRS to win the tournament.
– On the September 28th edition of Superstars, Sgt. Slaughter expressed regret for his association with Iraq and begins his plea to get his country back.
– On the same edition of Superstars, Ric Flair knocked out Roddy Piper with the NWA Championship. Piper was groggy from the attack and ended up hitting Vince McMahon with a chair on accident causing McMahon to be taken to the backstage area via a stretcher.
– During the September 30th taping of Superstars, Jake Roberts, who was under a mask, attacked Sid Justice and double teamed Sid with the Undertaker. Luckily for Sid, Jim Duggan came out and made the save to prevent Roberts from using his cobra on Sid.
There wasn’t a major event this month.