Yearly Review: WWF October 1991
A major upset occurs in Spain involving the new number one contender. A tag team is on the verge of splitting up. A new wrestler makes his debut as well. Plus more this month in the WWF!
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Hulk Hogan)
On October 12th of Superstars, it was announced that Hulk Hogan would defend the championship against the Undertaker at Survivor Series.
During the taping of Superstars on October 21st, Hogan was confronted by Ric Flair on the Funeral Parlor but would be attacked by the Undertaker before Piper and Savage ran over to make the save.
Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair had their first singles match on October 22nd, 1991 in Dayton, OH where Flair beat Hogan by count-out.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: Bret Hart)
For most of the month, Hart defended the championship against the Warlord where Bret would get the win over the much larger opponent. Towards the end of the month Bret started to have matches with the Mountie with Bret getting the better of Mountie throughout the month.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: Legion of Doom)
LOD mainly worked with either the Nasty Boys or Natural Disasters throughout the month. LOD would win matches with the Nasty Boys by pin fall while they would beat the Disasters by disqualification.
– Sgt. Slaughter continued to try and get his country back by pleading with the WWF fans to take him back for making a mistake.
– On October 5th, Tito Santana picked up one of the biggest wins of his career when he pinned The Undertaker in Barcelona, Spain. Santana hit three piledrivers and nailed Taker with the urn before getting the win. The match was part of a show that aired only in Spain.
– Ricky Steamboat left the company on October 21st when the company was doing a television taping for Superstars in Indiana. Reportedly, Steamboat refused to job to IRS and the Undertaker during the taping.
– The Warlord got a new manager after his previous manager, Slick, got taken out by the British Bulldog with a powerslam. His new manger is Harvey Wippleman.
– There appeared to be an attitude change with Shawn Michaels during the October 21st taping of Superstars. During a squash match, Michaels was seen flirting with a girl instead of paying attention to the match he was competing in.
– Also during the October 21st taping of Superstars, Jake Roberts taunted Randy Savage long enough to get Savage into the ring where Roberts was able to trap Savage in the ropes. As a result, Roberts was able to get his snake to bite into Savage’s arm.
– The Repo Man made his in-ring wrestling debut during the October 22nd taping of Dayton OH. Vignettes would start to air the following month for his debut.
– Sgt. Slaughter saved Jim Duggan from a beating by the Nasty Boys. They have seemingly formed a tag team as a result.
There weren’t any major televised shows this month.