Yearly Review: WWF January 1993
The era of Monday Night RAW begins as does the march to WrestleMania IX.
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Bret Hart)
Bret’s first challenger of 1993 would be found in the form of Razor Ramon. Razor decided to attack Bret’s younger brother on the debut episode of WWF Mania. Ramon attacked Owen with a trash can and made it clear that he was going to take the WWF World Championship from Bret at the Royal Rumble.
At the Royal Rumble, Bret Hart retained the WWF World Championship by forcing Ramon to submit to the sharpshooter. This effectively ended the brief feud between the two of them.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: Shawn Michaels)
Former partners finally collided at the 1993 Royal Rumble with the WWF Intercontinental Championship on the line. At the event, Michaels was able to retain the championship when Sensational Sherri accidentally hit Jannetty in the face with her high heel shoe. Sherri had been in a neutral corner, but ended up siding with Jannetty and leaving Michaels. After the match, Jannetty attacked Michaels backstage when Michaels confronted her about her decision.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: Money Inc.)
Money Inc. didn’t have much going on in the first month of ’93. DiBiase and IRS were entered into the Royal Rumble match, but neither man was able to win the match. They continued to successfully defend the championships against the Nasty Boys on the house show market.
– RAW made its television debut on January 11th, 1993 with a live episode from Manhattan, NY on the USA Network. The main event of the show saw Shawn Michaels successfully defend the Intercontinental Championship against Max Moon.
– Rob Bartlett made his debut on the first RAW episode as a commentator. Bartlett was a comedian at the time and didn’t know the product all that well.
– Yokozuna won the 1993 Royal Rumble last eliminating Randy Savage. As a result, Yokozuna will get a WWF World Championship match at WrestleMania IX.
– The Steiner Brothers made their WWF pay per view debut at the Royal Rumble where they defeated the Beverly Brothers.
– Bam-Bam Bigelow also made his WWF pay per view debut at the Royal Rumble where he pinned the Big Bossman.
– Mr. Perfect and Ric Flair had one of the greatest matches in RAW history on January 25th, 1993 in a match where both mens career’s were on the line. After nearly twenty minutes of action, and Flair bleeding on television, Perfect was able to put Flair away with the Perfect Plex. This would be Flair’s final WWF television appearance until November 2001, though he would work house shows until February ’93.
– Kamala has aligned himself with Slick and is a full blown babyface as a result.
– Former WCW World Champion Lex Luger made his WWF debut at the Royal Rumble. Luger had a special showcasing at the event which was created by Bobby Heenan. Luger’s gimmick is that of someone who is obsessed with himself. Thus, he is going by the name of “the Narcissist” Lex Luger.
Royal Rumble 1993: 1.25