Yearly Review: WWF April 1993
The new generation of the WWF is led by an old familiar face.
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Bret Hart)
Earlier in the day before WrestleMania IX, Lex Luger attacked Bret Hart at a brunch. Luger ran up from behind and nailed the champion with a running forearm.
Later on in the day, Bret wrestled Yokozuna with the championship on the line. After interference from Mr. Fuji, Yokozuna was able to win his first WWF World Championship. The reign would last only twenty three seconds as Hulk Hogan came down and accepted a challenge issued by Mr. Fuji. Hogan hit a leg drop and won his fifth WWF World Championship.
Fuji would file a protest saying the match wasn’t a legal bout.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: Shawn Michaels)
Michaels was able to retain the championship although he lost to Tatanka, he did so by count-out to save his championship.
Also at WrestleMania IX, Michaels attacked Mr. Perfect after Perfect lost to Lex Luger at the event.
On the April 10th edition of WWF Superstars, Michaels issued a challenge to Mr. Perfect. The next day, Michaels lost to Crush by count-out at the ’93 UK Rampage event.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: Money Inc.)
At WrestleMania IX, DiBiase and IRS were victorious over Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake by disqualification due to Hogan using Beefcake’s face protector as a weapon.
The following night on RAW, it was revealed that the Steiner Brothers had issued a challenge to the winners of the match. On the April 12th RAW, Money Inc. was seen paying off the Beverly Brothers for advice on how to beat the Steiner Brothers. Later on in the night, Scott Steiner defeated IRS by disqualification. After the match, the Beverly Brothers accidentally hit DiBiase with a clothesline. This led to a confrontation between the two teams.
Money Inc. would defeat the Beverly Brothers on the April 19th RAW in a non-title match.
• On the April 5th RAW, Lawler was annoyed by the constant Burger King chants. He would later issue a challenge to Randy Savage, claiming Savage was too much of a coward to fight him.
• A wild brawl between Sherri Martel and Luna Vachon took place during the April 12th RAW. Both women tore clothing off and Sherri was adamant that she would wrestle Luna at any time.
• Bret Hart revealed that he made a hit list since losing the WWF World Championship. At the top of the list is Lex Luger for attacking him prior to WrestleMania IX.
• Vignettes debuting a new tag team named the Smoking Gunns started to air. They are Billy and Bart Gunn, two babyface cowboys.
• Doink the Clown was able to beat Crush after a second Doink caused a distraction. Doink would continue to distract Crush throughout the month.
• A feud between Tatanka and Bam-Bam Bigelow started up on the April 24th Superstars. Tatanka protected Sherri Martel from Bigelow by dropkicking and chopping Bigelow off the podium. Later on in the show, Bigelow attacked Tatanka and cut his hair.
• Giant Gonzalez used chloroform on the Undertaker at WrestleMania to keep their issue alive.
WrestleMania IX Results:
– Tatanka defeated WWF Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels by count-out
– The Steiner Brothers defeated the Headshrinkers
– Doink defeated Crush
– Razor Ramon defeated Bob Backlund
– WWF World Tag Team Champions Money Inc. defeated Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake by disqualification
– Lex Luger defeated Mr. Perfect
– The Undertaker defeated Giant Gonzalez by disqualification
– Yokozuna defeated WWF World Champion Bret Hart to win the title
– Hulk Hogan defeatd WWF World Champion Yokozuna to win the title
WrestleMania IX: 2.0 (800,000)