Yearly Review: WWF June 1993
Hulkamania goes on a hiatus. Several superstars debut. Titles change hands.
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Hulk Hogan)
The rematch between Hulk Hogan and Yokozuna took place at King of the Ring on June 13th. At the event, Yokozuna was able to regain the WWF World Championship by defeating Hogan after a cameraman accidentally blew a fireball into Hogan’s eyes. Yoko took advantage and won following a leg drop.
Following the event, it was announced that there would be a celebration for Yokozuna at an American landmark. The landmark would end up being the USS Intrepid on July 4th. The challenge was issued to see if anyone could slam Yokozuna.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: Marty Jannetty)
Marty Jannetty’s reign as champion was a rather short one as on June 6th in Albany, NY Shawn Michaels regained the WWF Intercontinental Championship. During the match, Michaels had help from a mystery man who would end up being known as Diesel (more on him later on in this post.) This is Michaels second reign as champion.
Michaels would defend the championship at the King of the Ring pay per view on June 13 against Crush. At the event, Michaels retained the championship after eleven minutes of action.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: Money Inc.)
Money Inc. would team with the Headshrinkers in a losing effort at King of the Ring against the Steiner Brothers. The next day, they would lose the WWF World Tag Team Championships to the Steiner Brothers in Columbus, OH. Money Inc. would regain the titles two days later on June 16th in Rockford, IL. The belts would change hands for the third and final time in St. Louis, MO on June 19th with the Steiner Brothers winning the titles.
– The 1-2-3 Kid continued to decline offers made by Razor Ramon to a rematch. Ramon offered $7,500 for a rematch, but still no luck. On the June 14th, Kid finally accepted an offer of $10,000 to have a rematch with Ramon.
– It was announced on the June 5th Superstars that Slick was working with a church and he had done all he could with Kamala. This would effectively end Slick as a regular on-air character.
– On the June 12th Superstars, Mr. Hughes and Giant Gonzalez attacked the Undertaker and Paul Bearer. Hughes would hit Bearer in the head with his urn.
– Bastion Booger made his debut on the June 19th Superstars losing to Virgil. Booger would get a victory over Virgil the following week.
– At a MSG show on June 12th, there were a few tidbits. First off, Tito Santana and Kamala wrestled their last matches at the Garden. Secondly, Razor Ramon (who is still a heel) worked with Shawn Michaels for the WWF Intercontinental Championship and played the babyface role. Diesel made his MSG debut at the show as well. Bob Backlund was handed his first pin fall lost at MSG in a match with Bret Hart.
– Speaking of Bret Hart, he won the first ever King of the Ring tournament by beating Razor Ramon, Mr. Perfect and lastly Bam-Bam Bigelow. After winning the tournament, Bret would be viciously attacked by Jerry Lawler. Lawler, a self proclaimed king, hit Bret with a scepter after Bret called Lawler a Burger King.
King of the Ring ’93: 1.10