WCW Saturday Night 1/13/1996
Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Saturday Night
1.) Alex Wright defeated Steve Armstrong
2.) Eddie Guerrero defeated Scott Armstrong
3.) Kevin Sullivan defeated Butch Long
4.) American Males defeated Men At Work
5.) VK Wallstreet defeated Mr. JL
6.) Meng defeated Dusty Wolfe
7.) Randy Savage defeated WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair by disqualification
1. Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage share a promo in the middle of the show where Hogan promises that Savage will win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship from Ric Flair. Savage naturally agrees with that comment and they say that they have a secret weapon with them. The last time they had a secret weapon, it was a cheap rip off of the Renegade.
2. We hear from the Giant and WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair, who tells us that they will destroy Macho and Hulkster once and for all. Flair brags about being with all the women as well.
3. Mike Ditka had a second interview with WCW. He and Eric Bischoff talk about Mongo and how he would have been great roommates with Dick Butkis. Bischoff tries to get Ditka to be Mongo’s manager, but come on now, that would never happen.
4. Early on, Savage and Flair trade simple offense with Flair focusing his attack with chops and a knee drop sending Macho to the floor. On the floor, Jimmy Hart kicks the challenger. Savage is sent into the guard railing and back in the ring, Flair nearly wins with a back suplex. Flair maintains control with a delayed vertical suplex and after a knee breaker he locks in the figure four! Macho is able to reverse the hold and Flair breaks the hold. Flair gets slammed off the top rope and Savage hits a few clotheslines. Randy comes off the top to hit an elbow drop and hits it but Jimmy Hart distracts the referee. Hulk Hogan comes down and attacks Flair while Arn Anderson hits Savage with brass knuckles. Flair is on top but the referee saw everything and calls for the bell. (**. A decent match between these two, but they aren’t going to be putting on a classic for Saturday Night. Nor would there be a World Championship title change, come on!)
5. Tony Schiavone interviews Hogan and Savage. Hogan believes that Savage should be the champion and is fed up with the Dungeon and Horsemen. Savage is loopy from the attack and hypes up the secret weapon to close the show.
Not a lot of good taking place this week on Saturday Night. The main event is a really strong one on paper, no doubt about it. Aside from the opening squash match and the main event, there is nothing of entertainment value on this program.
Thanks for reading.