WCW Saturday Night 1/22/1994
Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Saturday Night
From: Atlanta, GA
1.) WCW World Tag Team Champions Nasty Boys defeated Ron Oates & Mark Starr
2.) Dustin Rhodes defeated Ricky Tango
3.) Ron Simmons defeated TC Carter
4.) Jim Steele defeated Bob Starr
5.) Vader defeated Al Philip
6.) 2 Cold Scorpio & Marcus Alexander Bagwell defeated Tom Burton & Bill Payne
7.) WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair, Sting & The Boss defeated WCW International Champion Rick Rude, WCW United States Champion Steve Austin & Ron Simmons
1. The Nasty Boys kicked off the show and took care of business to earn a victory. Jerry Saggs hit a top rope elbow drop on Oates to earn the three count.
2. Col. Robert Parker says he has put together a six man tag to take care of Sting, Flair and Boss. Parker hypes up the match and says his team is going to win.
3. Mean Gene brings out the WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair for an interview. Flair says he feels good to be partners with Sting for the Clash. Flair promises that he and Sting will be at the Clash all night long.
4. Dustin Rhodes continued his winning streak by beating Ricky Tango after a running bulldog. Mean Gene interviews Rhodes afterwards. Rhodes says that people have been wondering when he is going to kick Lord Steven Regal up. He says that Regal has ran his mouth for the last time. He means business and is going to take the WCW Television Championship at the Clash.
5. Shanghai Pierce tells Johnny B. Badd that next week he will keep his mask when they meet.
6. The new and improved Ron Simmons is in action again this week. Simmons prevails over TC Carter following a spine buster. Ice Train comes out to the ring to shake hands with Simmons but Simmons just walks away.
7. Mean Gene is with Col. Robert Parker and Steve Austin. Parker is worried about Brian Pillman cheating to win against him at the Clash. Austin reveals that he got his managers license and will be there to protect Parker. Parker reveals that Ron Simmons is the third man to team with Rude and Austin tonight. Simmons comes back out and says that his favorite color is green and Parker gave him a lot of green to be partners tonight. Simmons tells the fans that he is buying out and not selling out!
8. Jungle Jim Steele made his debut and he pinned Bob Starr following a Thez Press.
9. Vader returned to action and pinned Al Philip following a power bomb. After the match, Harley Race and Vader are interviewed. Race says that Flair had a big ego but says Flair is also stupid for getting back in the ring with Vader before Superbrawl. Vader is going to hurt more people in ‘94. Vader says Flair had his Christmas Miracle at Starrcade. Vader is going to ask Flair’s wife out after he breaks Flair’s face. Rick Rude comes out and says they have a common goal and that is to get rid of Flair and Sting from WCW. “United we stand, divided we fall.”
10. Marcus Bagwell and 2 Cold Scorpio picked up a tag team victory when they pinned Payne following a double suplex.
11. Mean Gene is with Brian Pillman. Pillman says that Parker will pay for breaking up the Blondes and promises that dinner will be served at the Clash.
12. Ice Train came out to talk to Simmons but gets punched instead. The baby faces clean house and knock the heels to the floor. Rude is atomic dropped by Boss and Sting. Sting electric chair slams Austin to keep control. Austin slams Flair but Flair is able to put the figure four on Austin until he reaches the ropes. Simmons yanks down the ropes to send Boss to the floor. Austin rams Boss into the guard railing back first. Sting gets the hot tag from Boss but the referee was distracted. Boss avoids a shoulder block off the middle rope by Simmons and Sting tags in. Sting power slams Simmons for a near fall. All six men brawl and Sting eventually rolls Simmons up to win the match.
There was only one match that wasn’t a squash match this week. The main event had a lot of star power and it was a decent contest. It wasn’t anything special, but compared to everything else on the show it was a fine way to finish off the show. The show was average at all and would’ve been better if it had one or two other matches that weren’t just squash matches. Lastly, Simmons eating the pin fall in the main event was expected but that kind of hurts his new heel turn by getting pinned. He must not have a bright future in WCW anymore.
Thanks for reading.