WCW Saturday Night 3/28/1992
Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Saturday Night
From: Atlanta, GA
1.)Van Hammer defeated Randy Starr
2.)Firebreaker Chip & Todd Champion defeated Bob Cook & Chris Sullivan
3.)Dustin Rhodes defeated Greg Sawyer
4.)Cactus Jack defeated Danny Posten
5.)Tom Zenk defeated WCW United States Tag Team Champion Terrance Taylor
6.)Johnny B. Badd defeated Steve Armstrong
7.)Mr. Hughes & Vinnie Vegas defeated Scott Allen & Dave Francis
8.)WCW Television Champion Steve Austin, WCW World Tag Team Champions Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton defeated The Junkyard Dog, Brad Armstrong & PN News
9.)WCW United States Champion Rick Rude defeated Marcus Alexander Bagwell
1. Marcus Alexander Bagwell comes out to be interviewed by Jim Ross to open the program. He will be wrestling WCW United States Champion Rick Rude later on. Bagwell says he is going to do the best he can do against Rude. It was a very basic interview.
2. Eric Bischoff interviews Van Hammer after his win. Hammer talks about helping the community. That is until JT Southern comes out and plays his guitar. Southern wants to know if Hammer can even play his guitar. Southern just leaves while Hammer suggests they have a wrestling match. Okay, that didn’t answer the question, Hammer.
3. Cactus Jack is interviewed after his victory this week. Jack will be having a rematch with Ron Simmons on April 12th in Georgia. Jack is also going to be wrestling Johnny B. Badd, I guess. Jack talks about WCW World Champion Sting as well. Jack likes what Vader did to Sting. Jack focuses on Ron Simmons and says he is going to destroy him.
4. Taylor takes on Zenk for the first hour main event. Zenk will be wrestling Steve Austin soon for the WCW Television Championship, apparently. Zenk nearly rolls Taylor up early on but can’t keep Taylor down long enough. Taylor battles back and tries a pile driver but Zenk counters with a backdrop. Zenk hits a few backdrops and spin kicks Taylor down to the canvas. Greg Valentine makes his way down to ringside. Zenk is dumped to the floor and Valentine is attacked by Bagwell! Zenk comes off the top to hit a missile dropkick and he pins Taylor!
5. Dusty Rhodes shares some words for reasons I don’t know. Rhodes says that Vader is the new bull in town and says that Sting is the new ruler of WCW. Who has the upper hand between those two men? Rhodes is just hyping up the eventual Vader/Sting showdown.
6. Paul E. Dangerously and WCW United States Champion Rick Rude is with Eric Bischoff for an interview. Rude will be wrestling Ricky Steamboat on April 12th for the championship. Dangerously warns Steamboat that there could very well be a murder on the orient express. Rude chimes in and says he can’t change anything about the past. Rude thinks that Steamboat is going to realize this his future will be whatever Rude wants it to be.
7. Can Bagwell pull off the huge upset? Rude controls the early stages with a few forearm shots and a vertical suplex. Rude misses a shoulder attack in the corner and is arm dragged by Bagwell. Rude regains control quickly and has a headlock on Bagwell. Rude mainly used a headlock for his offense. Bagwell is driven down to the mat with a back suplex. Ricky Steamboat has come down to the ringside area and Bagwell nearly gets the pin. Rude hits the Rude Awakening and pins Bagwell. Steamboat rolls into the ring and brawls with Rude until the locker room empties to break up the fighting. That’s the end of the program.
The only interesting part of the show was Rude/Steamboat interaction at the end. Everything that lead up to that was actually boring and felt like it just dragged on. Thus, this episode gets a thumbs down from me.
Thanks for reading.