WCW Worldwide 1/8/1994
Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Worldwide
From: Orlando, FL
1.)Dustin Rhodes defeated Nasty Ned
2.)WCW World Tag Team Champions the Nasty Boys defeated Bert Styles & Brian Armstrong
3.)Johnny B. Badd defeated WCW Television Champion Lord Steven Regal by disqualification
4.)Vader defeated David Walby
5.)Cactus Jack & Maxx Payne defeated Pretty Wonderful by disqualification
1. Mean Gene conducted an interview with Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne regarding their match later on in the night. Payne says that Pretty Wonderful better be ready for tonight. Payne repeats that they are going to bury them. Jack chimes in and says he had no idea how heavy this would get. Jack says this is the hard bodies against the hard arteries. Jack says they will not be standing for long when they are in the ring!
2. Mean Gene talked to the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair shortly after he was able to defeat Big Van Vader for the championship. Flair is the champion for the eleventh time in his career. Flair saw it as the biggest match of his career. Flair has proven he belongs in the championship circle. Flair says if he didn’t win the championship he would have to retire from the business. Vader wanted to beat Ric Flair. Flair admits that Vader proved to him how tough he is. Flair puts over Vader as a great athlete. He hopes that he proved to everyone how great he is. Ric recognizes his family as being really important to him. Gene is a jerk and cuts him off because we have to go back to Worldwide for a meaningless match.
3. Badd opens the TV Championship match with a shoulder block and works over Regal’s arm briefly. Regal elbows Badd and controls Badd with a headlock. Badd quickly comes back with an arm drag. Regal takes Johnny down to the mat to get control of the contest. That doesn’t last long as Badd takes Regal down again with a side headlock. Regal focuses his offense on Badd’s left arm. Regal takes Badd down to the canvas and continues to wrench on Badd’s left wrist. Regal takes Badd over with a slam to maintain the advantage. Badd comes off the ropes with a cross body for a one count. Badd sends Regal face first into the top turnbuckle and makes his comeback with a backdrop and a knee lift for a two count. Johnny connects with a head scissors but misses a standing elbow drop. Sir William punches Badd while he tried to block a sunset flip and that gets a disqualification. After the match, Badd is attacked by Regal. (*1/2. Not much of a match. Just a basic match here with a bullshit finish.)
4. Mean Gene conducted an interview with Teddy Long, Marcus Alexander Bagwell and Too Cold Scorpio. Gene mentions that they held the WCW World Tag Team Championships very briefly. Long notes they proved they were the best by winning the titles and they will win the titles again in ’94. Bagwell puts over his past success but those are all in the past. Bagwell is looking for the future where the gold will be around their waists. Scorpio chimes in and thanks everyone for being with them. Long summed this promo by himself. There wasn’t a need for all three men to speak.
5. It’s time for the return match main event to close the show this week. Jack and Orndorff start the contest with Jack hitting an elbow drop but Orndorff back elbows Cactus in the corner. Orndorff hammers away on Jack in the corner. Cactus fights back with a few rights and a headbutt. Payne gets into the match and Orndorff falls into a corner. Roma has tagged into the match. Payne is also tagged into the match and they start to stall. Payne blocks a scoop slam by hitting Roma over the back. Jack tags in and works over Roma sending him into the turnbuckle. Jack leaps onto Roma’s back and leg drops Roma’s neck from the apron. Payne blocks a few punches from Roma but Roma is able to hit a middle rope axe handle. Payne punches Roma in midair as he jumped off the top rope. The Nasty Boys run out and attack Jack and Payne to cause another disqualification. The four heels proceed to beat down the babyface team. Jack is planted by the Nasty Boys with a double DDT. (*. Similar to the earlier feature match. A really basic contest with a BS finish to set-up a title feud. Not all that interesting.)
6. Mean Gene conducts an interview with the WCW World Tag Team Champions Nasty Boys. Knobbs says that Jack and Payne have been talking about them and now they got them. Saggs asks who they are going to wrestle and says nobody will take the belts from them. They leave Gene to hit Jack with the titles just because they can.
A pretty bad episode of Worldwide this week. Both feature matches were lame and had a disqualification finish. The action was way too basic and it seemed like it was just setting up feuds, which isn’t horrible, I guess. This just wasn’t a strong episode.
Thanks for reading.