WWF RAW 5/22/1995
World Wrestling Federation presents RAW
From: Binghamton, NY
1.) Razor Ramon defeated Mike Bell
2.) Hunter Hearst Helmsley defeated Mike Chrystal
3.) Lex Luger & Davey Boy Smith defeated Tony DeVito & Bill Payne
4.) Kama defeated Barry Horowitz
5.) Shawn Michaels defeated King Kong Bundy to qualify for the 1995 King of the Ring Tournament
1. A video promoting the past happenings between Shawn Michaels and the Corporation is shown.
2. Razor Ramon opens up the program in singles action. McMahon lets us know that Ramon won the WWF Intercontinental Championship on Friday night but ended up losing it back to Jarrett on Sunday. Ramon pins Bell after a top rope back suplex.
3. Bret Hart walks down to ringside to confront Jerry Lawler. Hart hates people who make excuses. Hart wonders how in the world he lost to Jerry Lawler. He has to wonder if he is a loser. Hart says Lawler will never be better then him. Hart wants to know what it will take to get Lawler in the ring again. Hart wants one more match with Lawler. Hart is willing to give him any kind of match he wants. Several officials come down to ringside to hold Hart back from attacking Lawler.
4. Hunter Hearst Helmsley makes his RAW debut tonight. John Crystal mush have family in attendance because there was a noticeable cheer for when he got any kind of offensive move in. Hunter displays some nice movies such as a spinning heel kick and an ace crusher (DDP must’ve been pissed) which got him the win.
5. A video promoting Bob Backlund’s run to be President is shown. Backlund says he would make sure everyone would get a job so they could buy a dictionary so they can read. They must also read a novel per week. He would abolish the spell check on computers. Backlund demands students go to school every month of the year. That’s right, no summer vacation.
6. Footage the winners of the free house from IYH being shown their house is aired. The Bushwhackers made a surprise appearance to greet the homeowners.
7. The Allied Powers competed in tag team action this week. Smith was able to get the win following a running power slam on Payne.
8. Next week, the Undertaker will compete against WWF Intercontinental Champion Jeff Jarrett with the winner entering the King of the Ring Tournament.
9. Kama forced Barry Horowitz to submit to a single Boston Crab for an easy win.
10. It’ time for Shawn Michaels to make his return to the ring. Michaels avoided a splash in the corner and knocked Bundy to the floor. Michaels leaps off the top rope to a cross body on the floor! Michaels ducks a clothesline and hammers away on Bund. Michaels goes up top and double axe handles Bundy. Bundy sends Michaels hard into a corner and crashes to the floor. Bundy keeps control with a backdrop in the ring. Bundy works on Michaels back with a bear hug. Bundy counters a sunset flip attempt by sitting on Michaels. Bundy misses a big splash after coming off the ropes. Michaels drops Bundy with a top rope flying forearm smash. Seconds later Michaels delivers a super kick to earn the win. After the match, Diesel and Bigelow come down to the ring. Diesel wants to shake hands with Michaels. Instead, Michaels high fives his buddy just like they used to. They are friends again.
11. A promo by the Undertaker finishes off the show. Taker says he will go through Jarrett to win the King of the Ring.
I don’t know why they didn’t air this episode a week earlier. It would just seem obvious to air Michaels return on the live edition of the show. As I have said in previous recaps, live shows are typically better than taped shows. This show had a lot more to offer with the HHH RAW debut and Michaels return. Plus, the squash matches involved talent that people care about. I liked the all around episode as it didn’t drag along.
Thanks for reading