Yearly Review: December ’88
World Wrestling Federation December 1988
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Randy Savage)
During the December 6th taping of WWF Superstars, Savage was challenged by Bad News Brown and they brawled for a few moments. However, Savage had other things to deal with. Continue reading to see the developments of his min-feud with Brown.
During the taping of SNME #19 on December 7th, Savage felt betrayed by Hulk Hogan because Hogan held the ropes open for his valet Miss Elizabeth. Savage wouldn’t help Hogan fight off a double team attack from Bossman and Akeem because he was confident that Hogan would be okay. He would later describe the situation as being a way for Hogan to feel the pain that he had felt backstage. Savage eventually made the save when Bossman grabbed Elizabeth. However, Savage was still upset when he saw Elizabeth comfort a injured Hogan afterwards.
Back to Savage’s issues with Brown, Brown would alleged that Elizabeth was doing favors for Jack Tunney so that Savage would remain the WWF World Champion. Savage and Brown would have several matches on the house show market with Savage retaining the championship each time.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: the Ultimate Warrior)
Warrior was finally able to end his feud with Honky Tonk Man by earning a clean pin fall win at SNME 19 taping on December 7th. Considering the show wasn’t aired until January 1989, Warrior would wrestle Honky on the house show market in steel cage matches and no disqualification matches, retaining the championship each time.
WWF World Tag Team Championships Scene: (currently held by: Demolition)
Demolition started a feud with Mr. Fuji and his new clients, the Powers of Pain. Throughout the course of the month, they would wrestle to double disqualifications. The Powers of Pain would manage to earn a count-out victory against Demolition in a no disqualification match on December 30th at MSG.
– Brutus Beefcake defeated Ron Bass in a hair vs. hair match at SNME 19. Hulk Hogan was victorious over Akeem by disqualification when Bossman got involved and lead to the previously mentioned attack. Tito Santana ended the Red Rooster’s undefeated streak. Lastly, Mr. Perfect pinned Koko B. Ware.
– Following Rooster’s loss to Santana, Rooster was yelled at by Heenan. This obviously teased a split between the two men.
– Hulk Hogan and Big Bossman continued to compete on the house show market with Hogan coming out on top earning a few pin fall wins and disqualification wins.
– Andre the Giant and Jake Roberts had several matches with Andre coming out on top by disqualification.
– The house shows throughout the month also saw the following matches take place, Hercules/DiBiase, Bravo/Duggan, and Brain Busters/Rockers.
– Not much angle progression to close out the year.
SNME #19: N/A