Yearly Review: WWF April 1989
World Wrestling Federation April 1989
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Randy Savage)
At WrestleMania V, Hulk Hogan was able to defeat WWF World Champion Randy Savage to win the championship following a leg drop. Hogan kicked out of the elbow drop in the closing seconds before dropping the leg and winning the championship. On the house show market, Hogan would actually lose to Savage by count-out due to Sherri Martel getting involved in the matches.
Hogan’s first defense, aside from against Savage on the house show market, would take place at the April 25th taping of Saturday Nights Main Event #21 which would not be aired until May 27th. The match would take place inside a steel cage as Hogan squared off against the dominate Big Bossman. After ten minutes of action, Hogan was able to escape the cage after handcuffing Bossman to the top rope.
The house market would see Hogan lose to Randy Savage by count-out, or see him defeat Big Bossman inside a cage. Hogan wrestled Savage at Madison Square Garden on April 24th, losing by count-out after Sherri Martel prevented Hogan from returning to the ring.
Another challenger to Hogan’s WWF World Championship made their debut as Zeus, co-star of No Holds Barred, entered the company confident he would beat Hogan for the championship.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: the Ultimate Warrior)
At WrestleMania V, the Ultimate Warrior would lose the WWF Intercontinental Championship to “Ravishing” Rick Rude. Rude was able to win the championship after Heenan tripped Warrior on a vertical suplex attempt and held his foot down allowing Rude to get a three count. After the bout, Warrior press slammed Heenan and chased after Rude.
While Rude would compete against Warrior on the house show market, he would lose the matches by either disqualification or count-out. He wrestled against Jim Duggan at SNME#21 which he lost by count-out as well.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: Demolition)
At WrestleMania V, Demolition retained the WWF World Tag Team Championships over Powers of Pain when Ax pinned their former manager Mr. Fuji who had previously thrown salt into the Warlord’s eyes accidentally.
For the rest of the month, Demolition would defeat Powers of Pain, Akeem & Big Bossman , and Rhythm & Blues by disqualification to retain the titles. However, they did lose to the Brainbusters by disqualification when Ax shoved the referee out of frustration.
– Rick Martel turned on Tito Santana after Santana accidentally hit Martel with a flying forearm smash during their tag match against the Brainbusters. Martel revealed in an interview at WrestleMania V that he was sick and tired of Santana riding his coat tails. This effectively ended the tag team known as Strike Force. Martel would end up having Slick as his manager.
– At the April 5th taping of Wrestling Challenge, Sherri Martel and Randy Savage beat down Brutus Beefcake on the Brother Love Show for calling Sherri “Scary Sherri”. The beat down allowed Savage to cut off some of Beefcake’s hair. With Savage having a new manager, Miss Elizabeth announced during the April 26th taping of Superstars that she would manage WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan for as long as he wanted her.
– At the April 4th taping of Superstars, Ron Garvin and Greg Valentine agreed to have a career vs. career match the next time they competed against each other. During the same taping, Valentine defeated Garvin in under four minutes to force Garvin into retirement, though he would make appearances as a referee.
– Jake Roberts was attacked by Ted DiBiase after beating Virgil during the April 4th tapings of Superstars. DiBiase injured Roberts neck with the Million $ Dream forcing him out of action for several weeks.
– Jim Duggan made it clear that he was going to take the crown away from King Haku.
– The Rougeau Brothers brutally attacked Shawn Michaels with Jimmy Hart’s megaphone during the April 25th taping of Wrestling Challenge, causing Michaels to bleed from his mouth. The Rougeau called the Rockers copycats for singing their theme music and believed they were superior to the Rockers, anyway.
WWF WrestleMania V Results:
– Hercules defeated King Haku
– The Big Bossman & Akeem defeated the Rockers
– The Bushwhackers defeated the Rougeau Brothers
– Mr. Perfect defeated the Blue Blazer
– WWF World Tag Team Champions Demolition defeated Powers of Pain & Mr. Fuji to retain titles
– Dino Bravo defeated Ron Garvin
– The Brainbusters defeated Strike Force
– Jake Roberts defeated Andre the Giant by disqualification. Big John Studd was the referee for the match and was attacked by Andre.
– The Hart Foundation defeated the Honky Tonk Man & Greg Valentine
– Rick Rude defeated WWF Intercontinental Champion the Ultimate Warrior to win the title
– Jim Duggan fought Bad News Brown to a double disqualification
– The Red Rooster defeated Bobby Heenan
– Hulk Hogan defeated WWF World Champion Randy Savage to win the title
WWF SNME #21 Results:
– Jim Duggan defeated WWF Intercontinental Champion Rick Rude by count-out
– Randy Savage defeated Jim Neidhart
– WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan defeated Big Bossman in a steel cage match to retain the title
– The Brainbusters defeated WWF World Tag Team Champions Demolition by disqualification
– Jimmy Snuka defeated Boris Zhukov
WrestleMania V: 5.9
SNME #21: N/A