Yearly Review: WWF February 1989
World Wrestling Federation February 1989
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Randy Savage)
After defeating the Big Bossman and Akeem with his tag team partner Hulk Hogan at the Main Event II on February 3rd, however the issues between Savage and Hogan would heat up quickly. Backstage, Hogan would find Savage with his valet Miss Elizabeth and began to cut a promo until Savage decided to hit Hogan with the WWF World Championship. Savage continued the beat down even as Elizabeth tried to check on Hogan. Brutus Beefcake tried to make the save but failed at doing so. Savage was convinced that Hogan was jealous that Savage was the champion and had Elizabeth by his side. Hogan would later search for Savage but was unable to find him.
It is safe to say that Savage “lost it” when Hogan carried Elizabeth to the backstage area after being knocked off the apron to the floor. Hogan returned to the ring to pick up the win over Akeem with the leg drop. As you could tell, this whole situation saw Savage turn heel.
At the taping of SNME #20 on February 16th, both Savage and Hogan were stating that they were going to have Elizabeth in their corner for the WWF World Championship match at WrestleMania V. However, Elizabeth stated she wouldn’t be in either man’s corner!
Throughout the month, Savage would compete in street fights against Bad News Brown despite being a heel and would win each bout. He also fought WWF Intercontinental Champion the Ultimate Warrior in title vs. title matches but there was never a clean finish.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: the Ultimate Warrior)
Throughout the month Warrior mainly worked with Savage, but was also able to advance his feud with Rick Rude. During the matches with Savage, Warrior would fight off Rude and as a result would be counted out. Aside from that, Warrior would defeat guys like Ted DiBiase in a matter of thirty seconds in some cases to retain the title on the house show market.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by: Demolition)
There weren’t any new developments regarding the feud with the Powers of Pain. Demolition continued to wrestle them on the house show market and would come out victorious by disqualification each time.
– Ted DiBiase defeated Hercules at the Main Event II, the only other match aired on the program. As a result, DiBiase won his feud with Hercules by using Hercules tights for extra leverage. During the February 15th taping of WWF Superstars, DiBiase revealed his Million Dollar Championship for the first time.
– Bad News Brown continued to suggest that Miss Elizabeth was doing favors for Jack Tunney and would wrestle Hulk Hogan at SNME #20. Hogan would win the bout.
WWF SNME #20: (airing on March 11th)
– Brutus Beefcake defeated Rick Rude by disqualification after Andre the Giant had came out to attack Beefcake. This lead to Jake Roberts coming out to even out eh odds. Big John Studd also appearsed to have a stare down with Andre.
– Hulk Hogan defeated Bad News Brown
– Ted DiBiase defeated the Blue Blazer
– The Rockers fought the Brainbusters to a double count-out.
– The Red Rooster defeated the Brooklyn Brawler, but was attacked by Brawler and Heenan afterwards. Rooster was able to fight them off.
WWF WrestleMania V Card:
– For the WWF World Championship: ©Randy Savage defends against Hulk Hogan
– For the WWF Intercontinental Championship: ©the Ultimate Warrior defends against Rick Rude
– For the WWF World Tag Team Championships: ©Demolition defends against Powers of Pain and Mr. Fuji
– Jake Roberts vs. Andre the Giant
– Brutus Beefcake vs. Ted DiBiase
– The Brianbusters vs. Strike Force
– Bad News Brown vs. Jim Duggan
– Ronnie Garvin vs. Dino Bravo
– Mr. Perfect vs. the Blue Blazer (Owen Hart)
– Twin Towers vs. the Rockers
– The Red Rooster vs. Bobby Heenan
– The Hart Foundation vs. Honky Tonk Man and Greg Valentine
– King Haku vs. Hercules
– The Bushwhackers vs. the Rougeau Brothers
The Main Event II: 11.0
SNME #20: 10.0