Yearly Review: WWF January ’90
World Wrestling Federation January 1990
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Hulk Hogan)
Hogan continued his feud with Mr. Perfect and the Genius. At SNME #25, which was taped on 1/3/90, Hogan teamed with WWF Intercontinental Champion the Ultimate Warrior. Perfect and Genius nearly won the bout but ended up losing due to Genius missing a moonsault and was soon pinned by Hogan. After the match, Hogan and Warrior had a miscommunication. Warrior accidentally clotheslined Hogan during the brawl.
At the Royal Rumble Hogan participated in the Royal Rumble match. Hogan was #25 to enter the ring and managed to fight off Rick Rude and Mr. Perfect to win the Rumble for the second year in a row. Hogan last eliminated Perfect.
It was also announced at SNME that Hogan would defend the WWF World Championship against Randy Savage on February 23rd. The match would have Mike Tyson as the special referee.
On the house show market, Hogan continued to wrestle against Mr. Perfect. Hogan would retain the championship either by pin fall or by losing to Perfect by disqualification.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: the Ultimate Warrior)
Throughout the month, Warrior continued to fight off Dino Bravo and the Canadian Earthquake. There weren’t any new developments for their feud. As you can read above, Warrior was also busy with WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan.
WWF World Tag Team Championships Scene: (currently held by: Andre the Giant & Haku)
Andre and Haku continued to feud with former WWF World Tag Team Champions Demolition. There weren’t any new developments to the feud as they mainly wrestled on the house show market which saw Andre and Haku retain the titles by count-out.
It was also announced that Andre and Haku would defend the WWF World Tag Team Championships against Demolition at WrestleMania VI.
– Jake Roberts continued his feud with Ted DiBiase during the January 2nd taping of WWF Superstars. Roberts attacked DiBiase and Virgil after DiBiase competed in a squash match. As a result of the attack, Roberts was able to steal the Million Dollar Championship and put it in his snake bag with Damien. During the same taping, DiBiase and Roberts had a match which Roberts won by disqualification because the Big Bossman attacked him. However, it was revealed that DiBiase had paid Slick for Bossman’s services. That didn’t sit well with Bossman, who went back and helped Roberts recover saying he couldn’t be bought.
– Tugboat made his televised debut during the January 2nd taping of Superstars.
– Roddy Piper began a feud with Bad News Brown during the January 23rd taping of Wrestling Challenge. Brown was on the podium being interviewed which eventually led to a brawl between himself and Piper.
– The Rockers feuded with the Powers of Pain due to Warlord and Barbarian causing Marty Jannetty to be stretchered out of the arena following a match between the teams. This lead to the Rockers recruiting Jim Duggan to join them in their fight against the Powers of Pain.
– Randy Savage and Jim Duggan continued to feud over the king’s crown. They would wrestle at SNME which saw Savage prevail after Sherri Martel tripped Duggan on a suplex attempt. Duggan got some level of revenge by hitting Savage with his 2×4. Savage began to feud with Dusty Rhodes at the Royal Rumble. During a Brother Love segment, Savage and Sherri insulted Sapphire until Rhodes came out. Savage ended up attacking Rhodes before being forced to leave the ringside area by officials. Later in the night, Rhodes eliminated Savage from the Rumble match.
SNME #25 Results:
– WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan & WWF Intercontinental Champion Ultimate Warrior defeated Mr. Perfect & The Genius
– Randy Savage defeated Jim Duggan
– Jake Roberts defeated Greg Valentine by disqualification
– Dusty Rhodes fought Rick Rude to a double count-out
– Dino Bravo defeated Ron Garvin
Royal Rumble 1990 Results:
– The Bushwhackers defeated The Rougeau Brothers
– Brutus Beefcake fought The Genius to a double disqualification
– Ron Garvin defeated Greg Valentine
– Jim Duggan defeated Big Bossman by disqualification
– WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan won the 1990 Royal Rumble last eliminating Mr. Perfect
SNME #25: 11.1
Royal Rumble 1990: 2.0