Yearly Review: WWF July 1988
World Wrestling Federation July 1988
WWF World Championship scene: (currently held by: Randy Savage)
At the July 13th taping of Superstars, Randy Savage revealed that Hulk Hogan would be his tag partner for the big tag match against Ted DiBiase and Andre the Giant at Summer Slam. Hogan made his return to television and announced that Miss Elizabeth would be managing them for the bout.
Savage would seemingly end his singles feud with Ted DiBiase by defeating DiBiase at WrestleFest ’88 on July 31st. Savage had defeated DiBiase countless times on the house show market as well. Can Savage and Hogan coexist and defeat DiBiase and Andre? We will find out next month!
WWF Intercontinental Championship scene: (currently held by Honky Tonk Man)
At the July 13th taping of WWF Superstars, Honky Tonk Man announced that Brutus Beefcake would have his final chance to win the WWF Intercontinental Championship at Summer Slam. Throughout the month, they continued to have matches with each man picking up wins or in Beefcake’s case disqualification wins.
Can Beefcake finally win the WWF Intercontinental Championship at Summer Slam?
WWF World Tag Team Championship scene: (currently held by Demolition)
At the July 13th taping of WWF Superstars, an alliance between Demolition and Jimmy Hart was announced. Hart announced that he would be in Demolition’s corner as they compete against the Hart Foundation at Summer Slam.
Demolition wouldn’t wrestle the Hart Foundation on the house show market during the month. Instead, they competed against the Powers of Pain and the British Bulldogs. They lost several matches against the Powers Pain but luckily for them they were non-title bouts.
– Greg Valentine and Don Muraco continued to feud. At the July 14th taping of Wrestling Challenge, Muraco tried to use Valentine’s shin guard while putting on the figure four, but failed after Jimmy Hart made the save for Valentine. After wrestling to a time limit draw on the July 25th MSG show, Valentine attacked Superstar Billy Graham until Muraco made the save. Valentine would normally win their house show matches throughout the month.
– Rick Rude continued to get under Jake Roberts skin. Rude wore wrestling tights with Roberts’s wife Cheryl’s face painted on them. They would continue to have matches on the house show market, with each man picking up wins either by pin fall or by disqualification. Roberts would get some measure of revenge a few times by putting Damien on Rude.
– The Rockers lost their first match of their WWF careers to the Rougeau Brothers at the July 25th MSG show. Before the lost, the Rockers had a brief undefeated streak lasting around a month.
– Big Bossman continued his winning ways picking up several wins over Sam Houston. Bossman continued to handcuff his opponents after the matches and beat them senseless with his nightstick.
– The Ultimate Warrior continued his winning ways with victories over Bobby Heenan, Dino Bravo and Hercules throughout the month. Warrior has yet to lose during his WWF career.
– Jim Duggan and Andre the Giant continued to feud throughout the month. Andre would win most of their bouts. They also competed in several lumberjack matches with Andre still coming out on top.