Yearly Review: WWF October 1988
World Wrestling Federation October 1988
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by Randy Savage)
Throughout the month Savage continued to compete against primarily Andre the Giant on the house show market. Savage would normally win the bouts by count-out. He also competed against Ted DiBiase a few times in non-title steel cage matches.
Other than that, there weren’t any new developments.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by the Ultimate Warrior)
There weren’t any new developments throughout the month regarding the Intercontinental Championship. Warrior continued to defeat former champion the Honky Tonk Man on the house show market by disqualification.
WWF World Tag Team Championship Scene: (currently held by Demolition)
The champions started the month losing a non-title match against the British Bulldogs in France, but that would be the only loss throughout the month. They would have a series of matches against the Bulldogs and the Rockers, resulting in wins.
At Saturday Night Main Event XVII (as seen below), Demolition defeated the Hart Foundation after Smash hit Neidhart with Jimmy Hart’s megaphone.
– The undefeated Big Bossman decided at October 5th taping of WWF Superstars to viciously attacked Hulk Hogan during a Brother Love segment. Bossman manhandled Hogan using his nightstick and handcuffed the former World Champion to a guard railing. Hogan was able to chase Bossman and his manager Slick away with a piece of the guard railing in one hand and Bossman’s nightstick in the other.
– The Brianbusters (Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard) made their debut during the October 5th taping of WWF Superstars. They are the newest members of the Heenan Family.
– On October 16th the first King of the Ring tournament was held in Providence, Rhode Island. Ted DiBiase ended up winning the tournament after beating WWF World Champion Randy Savage by count-out.
Saturday Night Main Event XVII was taped on October 25th, 1988. Here are the highlights of the show.
– Jake Roberts defeated Rick Rude by disqualification. After the bout, Andre the Giant came out and attacked Roberts. Roberts was able to get the last laugh by causing Andre to pass out after teasing Andre with his snake.
– Hulk Hogan defeated King Haku
– Dino Bravo defeated Ken Patera
– Big Bossman defeated Jim Powers
SNME #17: 8.7