Yearly Review: WWF September 1989
World Wrestling Federation September 1989
WWF World Championship Scene: (currently held by: Hulk Hogan)
At SNME #23, which was taped on September 21st but aired on October 14th, WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan defeated long time rival Ted DiBiase with a small package. DiBiase accidentally hit Zeus with a clothesline during the bout leading to the finish. Jake Roberts came out to ringside during the bout and chased Virgil to the backstage area after Virgil stole his snake bag. Zeus ended up attacking Hogan after the match by twisting Hogan’s neck before DiBiase put the Million Dollar Dream on Hogan. Roberts returned to the ring and scared Zeus and DiBiase away with his snake.
WWF Intercontinental Championship Scene: (currently held by: the Ultimate Warrior)
Warrior continued to feud with Andre the Giant over the championship. On most of the house shows Warrior was able to beat Andre in under a minute. They competed in competitive bout at a MSG show on September 30th where Warrior retained the championship by disqualification. After the match, Warrior beat Andre down with championship until Andre was knocked off his feet.
WWF World Tag Team Championships Scene: (currently held by: Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard)
The Brain Busters continued to defend the tag team championships against former champions Demolition on the house show market. They would retain the championships each time despite losing to Demolition by disqualification. There weren’t any other developments in this feud.
– During the September 21st taping of WWF Superstars the Genius revealed that Mr. Perfect was his new protégé. This taping also featured Perfect’s first appearance with theme music.
– The new king of the WWF Randy Savage pinned Jimmy Snuka at SNME #23 after hitting Snuka with Sherri’s loaded purse. Snuka got some level of revenge by scaring Sherri Martel from the ring after knocking Savage to the floor.
– Rick Martel and Tito Santana wrestled to a double disqualification at SNME #23 when their partners for Survivor Series got involved in the match.
– Roddy Piper continued to get under the Heenan Family’s skin when he pinned Haku at SNME #23. Piper and Rick Rude would have several matches on the house show market including a double count-out match at MSG which was Piper’s first MSG match in nearly three years.
– The Bushwhackers embarrassed the Rougeau Brothers and Jimmy Hart at SNME #23 when they defeated the Rougeaus and stripped Jimmy Hart to his boxers.
– Jimmy Snuka and Honky Tonk Man continued their feud from a couple months ago with a match at the September 30th MSG show which saw Snuka beat Honk Tonk Man after a four and half year absence from MSG.
SNME #23: 9.5