Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Thunder
From: Providence, RI
1.) Mike Enos & Bobby Duncum Jr. defeated Meng & The Barbarian in a tournament match
2.) Lash LeRoux defeated Super Calo
3.) Fit Finlay & Dave Taylor defeated WCW Cruiserweight Champion Billy Kidman & Chavo Guerrero Jr. in a tournament match
4.) Disco Inferno defeated Chris Adams
5.) Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko defeated Van Hammer & Kaz Hayashi in a tournament match
1. The show opens up with Torrie Wilson with a camera guy, who she is flirting with.
2. The action starts off with the tag team title tournament match where the losers will be officially eliminated from the tournament, since it’s double elimination. The action isn’t at all exciting but there is one notable thing that happened during the match. The Barbarian turned on Meng by hitting with him with the Kick of Fear after loading up his boot. Duncum is then able to cover Meng for the win.
3. Lash LeRoux has been trying to climb the ladder to get a WCW Cruiserweight Championship match and that quest continued tonight when he stepped in the ring with Super Calo. LeRoux picked up a big win over Calo after hitting a Fireman’s Carry into a Michinoku Driver. It looks like as if LeRoux’s little push is continuing to move forward.
4. It is time for another tag team title tournament match. WCW Cruiserweight Champion Billy Kidman teamed with Chavo Guerrero Jr. to take on Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor. Kidman and Chavo weren’t able to get on the same wave length and that just means bad things are to happen. Late in the match, Chavo jumped off the top rope to hit Finlay with a missile dropkick. However, Finlay had a chair and ended up hitting Kidman with it. Finlay, after sending Chavo to the floor, hit Kidman with the Tombstone Piledriver to win the match for his team.
5. Backstage, Kaz Hayashi buys Glacier’s old ninja ring gear for $25,000.
6. A video of Raven and Kanyon visiting the mall is shown. Remember, Raven is rich, and actually has always been rich.
7. Disco Inferno competed in singles action against Chris Adams. Adams didn’t get much offense in at all, but did almost hit the super kick but was kicked in the leg before he could deliver it. That allowed Inferno to connect with the Chartbuster for the win. Also, during the match, we went backstage to see that Hayashi had all of Glacier’s gear on except for the helmet. The Cat ended up stealing the helmet, only to buy it and then got Glacier’s contract as some kind of bonus. Yeah…
8. Mean Gene is with WCW Cruiserweight Champion Billy Kidman backstage. Gene tries to convince Kidman that there is some dissension between himself and Chavo, but Kidman plays it cool saying it was a miscommunication. Chavo enters the picture and at first denies there being any tension, but, then decides to attack Kidman before simply leaving the area. That is heel turn #2 on this weeks Thunder!
9. Okay, so the main event this week is another tag team title tournament match. Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko squared off against the tag team of the decade, Van Hammer & Kaz Hayashi. It took them nearly eleven minutes to get the job down, but Benoit and Malenko advanced in the tournament. Malenko hit a reverse bulldog while Hayashi was on Benoit’s shoulders. Benoit would then put the Crippler Crossface on Hayashi to give them the victory.
Honestly, I’m inclined to think that WCW Saturday Night has a better lineup then what Thunder has been offering the past couple weeks. There is nothing at all that I would find to be exciting. The idea of a Chavo/Kidman program is slighting interesting just because they could put on a good match. Aside from that, this show just didn’t do anything for me.
Thanks for reading.