Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Saturday Night
From: Atlanta, GA
1.) Marcus Alexander Bagwell & 2 Cold Scorpio defeated Pretty Wonderful
2.) Ron Simmons defeated Scott Studd
3.) Dustin Rhodes defeated The Gambler
4.) Cactus Jack & Maxx Payne defeated Bob Cook & The Sheik
5.) WCW Television Champion Lord Steven Regal defeated Erik Watts to retain the title
6.) Johnny B. Badd defeated Tex Slazenger
7.) Brian Pillman defeated WCW United States Champion Steve Austin in a non-title match
1. The show starts off with Pretty Wonderful taking on Bagwell and Scorpio. Bagwell opened up with a cross body and dropkick on Roma but Orndorff tagged in and dropped Bagwell throat first across the top rope to get the advantage. Roma delivers a backbreaker on Bagwell to keep the advantage. Scorpio soon gets the tag and cleans house with a super kick and spin kick. Scorpio is able to roll Roma for the win while Scorpio worked on Orndorff. After the match, Roma splashes Scorpio from the top rope while Orndorff held Scorpio.
2. Brian Pillman calls Steve Austin a greedy man and says he ruined the Blondes. Pillman tells us that Col. Robert Parker is going to be wearing a chicken suit at the Clash.
3. Ron Simmons was in singles action this week. He took care of Scott Studd after hitting a spine buster. After the match, Mean Gene interviews Simmons. Simmons doesn’t think Ice Train is ready to wrestle him at the Clash. Train comes out and assures Simmons that he is ready to fight him. Simmons ends up slapping Train before walking away.
4. Mean Gene hosts the Control Center to promote the Clash of the Champions. We hear from Ric Flair and Sting who say they are going to beat Vader and Rick Rude. They are happy to team with each other.
5. Dustin Rhodes had no problem with the Gambler this week and won following a running bulldog.
6. Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne continued their winning ways when Payne forced Bob Cook to submit to a cross arm breaker. After the match, Mean Gene interviews them. Jack says that he isn’t mortal anymore when it comes to the Nasty Boys. They are coming for the gold on January 27th.
7. The WCW World Television Championship was on the line when Lord Steven Regal defended against Erik Watts. Watts tried to put the STF on Regal early but wasn’t successful. Watts hit a few dropkicks and a double axe handle to keep the upper hand. Watts misses a cross body and hit the ropes chest first. Regal simply rolled Watts up to retain the title.
8. Johnny B. Badd quickly pinned Tex Slazenger when he countered a power bomb attempt with a hurricanrana. After the match, Shanghai Pierce entered the ring but accidentally hit Tex with his boot. Badd tells us that he is going to show everyone how ugly Pierce is on January 27th!
9. Pillman works on Austin early on until Austin kicks Pillman to the floor. Pillman recovers and wraps Austin’s leg around the ring post. Pillman counters a pile driver attempt on the floor with a back drop. Pillman chases after Parker on the floor until he runs into a clothesline by Austin. Austin rams Pillman into the ring post and presses him arm against the post. Austin dumps Pillman to the floor where Parker gets a few cheap shots in. Austin tries to suplex Pillman from the apron back into the ring but Pillman counters with a rollup for the win. After the match, Dustin Rhodes runs out to save Pillman from having a chicken suit head put on by Parker and Austin to close the show.
This weeks episode was rather lackluster. Even though they promoted three “main event matches”, none of them delivered anything all that exciting. This was more of a show that promoted the Clash of the Champions, which is perfectly fine.
Thanks for reading