Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Worldwide
From: Orlando, FL
1.)WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair defeated Bobby Eaton
2.)the Shockmaster defeated Denny Brown
3.)Sting defeated Nasty Ned
4.)Ron Simmons defeated Scott Allen
5.)WCW International Champion Rick Rude & WCW United States Champion Steve Austin defeated Brian Pillman & Dustin Rhodes
1. Eaton takes Flair down to the canvas and the crowd cheers only to quickly change their mind since he is playing the heel role. Seriously, the crowd reactions are so fake it’s hilarious. Flair comes back and trips Eaton down to the canvas. Flair drives his knee onto Eaton’s arm. Eaton knocks the champ down in the corner but backs away. Flair fights back with a backdrop and chops Bobby in the corner. Flair comes off the ropes to hit a knee drop. Eaton clotheslines Flair over the top to the floor, but there won’t be a disqualification. Eaton brings Flair back into the ring from the apron with a suplex for a near fall. Flair misses an elbow drop and is met with a right hand. Flair flips in the corner and comes off the top where he actually hits a forearm shot! Flair backdrops Eaton. Eaton stops the champ with a swinging neckbreaker. Eaton goes to the top rope but misses a knee drop. Flair gets up and gets the submission win with the figure four. (*1/2. The last few moments of the match were entertaining but as a whole the match was lacking a lot of entertainment. Eaton having to work the offense hurt the match, I think.)
2. Vader appears on the video wall and tells Flair that he can run but he can’t hide. Vader is coming to beat Flair and inflict pain. He says Flair is going to ask for retirement.
3. Mean Gene conducted an interview with Harlem Heat. They aren’t named Booker and Stevie, but I will say they are anyway. Booker says they are the top tag team in WCW. They are calling out Maxx Payne and Cactus Jack. Booker says the Nasty Boys aren’t going to be champions for long. Stevie Ray says that teams have been ducking them and they want title shots.
4. Mean Gene conducted an interview with the Shockmaster after his squash match. Shockmaster says he has been practicing his walking lately. He talks about Harley Race saying that people call him the policeman because he takes care of the bad guys. Shockmaster wants a piece of Vader. Oh joy!
5. Mean Gene also talked to WCW International Champion Rick Rude. Rude says that he makes ten times more than the President of the United States and doesn’t want to run for office. Rude chats about Col. Robert Parker being a mastermind and notes that Steve Austin carried the Hollywood Blonds so Parker split that team apart. Rude wants to be a tag team champion as well!
6. Pillman and Rude start the main event this week. Rude shoves Pillman away and taunts the crowd by posing. Rude pokes Pillman in the eyes and hammers away on Brian. Pillman rolls Rude up and nearly gets a three count. Brian controls Rude with an arm bar. Dustin comes off the top rope to strike Rude’s shoulder. Pillman wrenches on Rude’s arm but is scoop slammed by Rude who tags in Austin. Austin works over Pillman in the corner. Pillman ducks a clothesline to hit a spinning heel kick and drives Austin face first into the canvas. Pillman tosses Austin over the top but Austin hangs on only to be dropkicked over the top to the floor. Austin decides to tag in Rude. Rude pokes Brian in the eyes and hammers away on him. Rhodes gets tagged in and hammers away on Rude. Dustin atomic drops Rude and delivers an elbow shot followed by a clothesline. Austin hits Dustin on the apron and Rude plants Rhodes with a DDT! Austin returns to the match and works over Rhodes in the corner. Rick controls Dustin with a bear hug for a few moments. Rhodes tries to fight out but Rude hits a belly to belly suplex for a near fall. Rude works on Rhodes back by jumping down across Dustin’s lower back area. Dustin gets up and hits an electric chair slam! Austin tags in but misses a splash against the ropes. Pillman gets the hot tag and cleans house. Pillman backdrops Austin and hammers away on him in the corner. Brian hits a leaping clothesline but Rude breaks up the cover. Pillman catapults Parker into the match after a roll up attempt on Austin. Parker bails to the floor. We are out of time, so we don’t get the finish. (**1/2. Well, for what we got to see, it was a decent tag team match. If it was in front of a crowd that actually knew who these guys were, it probably would have been even better.)
A fine episode this week even if the featured matches disappointed me a little bit. It was a much better episode in comparison to the first two weeks. So, I’ll give it a mild thumbs up.
Thanks for reading.
31-year old currently living in Syracuse, New York. Longtime fan of the New York Mets, Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Vikings. Avid fan of professional wrestling and write reviews/articles on the product. Usually focusing on the old school wrestling.