Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Saturday Night
From: Atlanta, GA
1.) The Boss defeated Big Bad John
2.) 2 Cold Scorpio & Marcus Alexander Bagwell defeated Ron Oakes & Rip Rogers
3.) Ron Simmons defeated Tom Zenk
4.) Brian Pillman defeated John Stevens
5.) Jungle Jim Steele defeated The Gambler
6.) Pretty Wonderful defeated Keith & Kent Cole
7.) WCW International World Champion Rick Rude defeated Dave Hart
8.) Ricky Steamboat & Arn Anderson defeated WCW United States Champion Steve Austin & WCW Television Champion Lord Steven Regal
1. Bobby Heenan demanded that Mean Gene tell him what is going on with Hulk Hogan, but Gene refused to do so.
2. Gene conducted an interview with the Boss regarding what happened at Superbrawl IV. He teases a match between Boss and Vader in the near future. Boss says the match went past the boundaries of fair play. Boss calls Vader a loser for not wearing the WCW World Championship. Vader is going to have to live with that fact.
3. Mean Gene is with Steve Keirn, who is wearing a gold jacket and has a mannequin with him as well. Keirn notes that Arn Anderson has been named a tag team specialist and claims that Arn learned everything from him. Steve is looking for the man to put the tuxedo top on to be his partner. That partner is here in WCW. By the way, Keirn was known as Skinner in the WWF.
4. Simmons works over Zenk in the early moments with a few strikes, but Zenk counters a slam with a dropkick and hits a head scissors takedown. Simmons puts a stop to Z-Man’s offense with a kick and a falling head butt. Ron hits a middle rope shoulder block and wins the match. (*. A quick match as Zenk is a jobber nowadays. I really like Simmons heel persona and his theme music just sounds badass to me.)
5. We see footage of Ricky Steamboat being named the number one contender for the WCW World Championship. The announcement was made at Superbrawl IV.
6. Mean Gene conducted an interview with Col. Robert Parker. Parker says that WCW United States Champion Steve Austin has the right to have a WCW World Championship match. Parker assures Gene that if there were to be a match it would be Flair defending against Austin.
7. Footage from WCW Main Event last week saw Steve Austin fake an injury to not wrestle Brian Pillman, and proceeded to beat down his former partner and best friend.
8. Mean Gene conducted an interview with Brian Pillman. Tomorrow night, Pillman will get his hands on Austin. Pillman talks about how Austin has looked over how much work it took for the Hollywood Blondes to be the greatest tag team ever. Pillman is going to take care of business tomorrow night.
9. Ricky Steamboat joins Mean Gene to be interviewed. Steamboat will meet Ric Flair at Spring Stampede for the WCW World Championship. Ricky talks about the struggle to get the title shot. Col. Robert Parker comes over and confronts Steamboat with his contract. Steamboat doesn’t have a problem with Parker or Austin. Steamboat suggests Austin show him that he is the number one contender in the ring tonight as they will be competing in a tag team match.
10. Mean Gene chats with the WCW World Tag Team Champions the Nasty Boys. Saggs brags about hitting Maxx Payne with a guitar at Superbrawl. Knobs says they get nastier when they get in the ring. We hear from the Equalizer who says his big brother is coming to WCW next week. The champs don’t appear to be overly concerned about the big brother arrival.
11. Mean Gene interviews WCW International World Champion Rick Rude. Gene notes that Sting is demanding a title match with Rude. Rude brags that Sting got a Rude Awakening at Superbrawl and will not be getting a title shot. He also says that Ric Flair doesn’t want a title shot with him.
12. Steamboat hits a cross body after coming off the ropes and delivers a dropkick to Regal. Ricky has Regal in a full nelson to allow Arn to tag in and get a shot in on the TV champ. Regal is able to deliver a couple of uppercuts but is stopped with a hip toss. Austin tags into the bout and works over Arn in the corner with several strikes. Steamboat chops Austin a series of times and knocks Regal off the apron. Regal tags into the bout and gets chopped by Steamboat. Steamboat gets out of a Boston Crab and puts Regal in the hold! Austin strikes Dragon while Arn was distracting the referee. Austin keeps control of Steamboat with a scoop slam and a vertical suplex. Dragon is getting double teamed by the heels but tries to fight back with chops, but can’t make the tag out. Regal blocked a head scissors and slammed Dragon gut first to the canvas. Regal brings Ricky back into the ring from the apron for a two count. Ricky is able to drive Regal face first into the canvas but Austin enters to stop Steamboat with a back suplex. Steamboat gets out of an abdominal stretch but is met with a spine buster. Arn gets the tag, but Regal was distracting the referee. Austin tosses Ricky over the top to the floor, but again the referee didn’t see that happen. Arn is fed up with the match and cleans house on the heels. Steamboat chops Sir William on the floor. Steamboat hits a top rope cross body on Austin and gets the win while Arn had Regal in a sunset flip! (***. That was a good match, which feels like the first good feature match on the program in several weeks. Four of the best workers in WCW put on an enjoyable bout.)
13. Mean Gene tells us that next week WCW United States Champion Steve Austin will wrestle Ricky Steamboat with the winner meeting WCW World Champion Ric Flair at Spring Stampede! Col. Robert Parker says that Steamboat’s days will end next week!
An alright show this week as the featured match was a good television match. The set-up for Spring Stampede looks to be shaping up nicely, as well. I mean, by the looks of it we will be having Rude/Sting, Vader/Boss, Flair/Steamboat or Austin as the big three matches. I can certainly live with that.
Thanks for reading.