WCW Main Event 2/19/1995
Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Main Event
From: Baltimore, MD
1.) Paul Orndorff defeated Brad Armstrong
2.) Stars & Stripes defeated Romeo Valentino & Dino Casanova
3.) WCW Television Champion Arn Anderson defeated Johnny B. Badd to retain the title in a lumberjack match
1. This is the pre-show for Superbrawl V! Eric Bischoff and Dusty Rhodes are our hosts for the hour broadcast.
2. Earlier in the day, WCW United States Champion Vader arrived to the arena in a limo. The door opened and then closed after high heels appeared. Vader goes back to the limo and threatens the cameraman. Another limo appears and Vader wants to know if WCW World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan is in the car. Tony Schiavone ends up getting out of the limo and running away. Vader is one angry fellow.
3. Backstage, Mean Gene is hanging out. Gene is going to try and talk to the retired Ric Flair at some point in the evening. He wants to know what involvement Flair has.
4. Orndorff gets in the referee’s face early on and is fired up for the match. Armstrong has a hammerlock on Orndorff for a brief advantage. Armstrong hammers away on Orndorff and delivers a knee lift before coming off the top but is met with an elbow shot. Paul works over Armstrong in the corner until he is pulled out by the referee. Orndorff drops Brad after several jabs. Brad ducks a right hand to hit a back suplex and follows up with a right hand. Armstrong continues his offense with a dropkick. Armstrong monkey flips Orndroff out of the corner. Orndorff has Armstrong in a roll up and uses the ropes for leverage to win the match. (*. A basic match but the match is really amped up for the show is seems like.)
5. Backstage, Mean Gene is with WCW Television Champion Arn Anderson and his buddies. Anderson will be wrestling Badd in a lumberjack. Col. Robert Parker says that Arn isn’t afraid to wrestle tonight. Bunkhouse Buck tells us that he has been around the world and will take out Jim Duggan. Blacktop Bully hopes that Dustin Rhodes is ready to compete tonight. Anderson says we will have more witnesses to the slaughter tonight.
6. Vader appears during the tag team squash match. Vader confronts Eric Bischoff and then heads to the ring. Vader attacks Bagwell on the floor and gets in the ring to attack the other three men. Vader plants Casanova down with a power bomb! Patriot feels the power bomb as well.
7. Badd avoids a chop early on and fakes Anderson out with a left hook. Badd takes Anderson down with a head scissors and nearly wins with a roll up. Johnny gets another near fall with a roll up. Arn delivers a knee lift and a strike to the upper back before sending Johnny to the apron. Badd is brought back into the ring via a slingshot. Badd manages to send Arn to the floor with a slingshot and nearly rolls the champ up for a win. Johnny kicks Anderson in the corner and ducks a wild punch. Badd atomic drops the champ and follows up with a backdrop. Anderson is sent over the top thanks to a clothesline. Badd leaps off the top to hit Anderson with a double axe handle on the floor. Johnny heads to the top but Blacktop Bully shoves Badd off and Anderson gets a three count. (*1/4. Not nearly long enough for these two to get anything really going. The lumberjacks hardly played a role. How this wasn’t on the pay per view is an odd one.)
A fine way to hype up Superbrawl with a decent main event and Vader going nuts to strike fear into all the Hogan fans.
Thanks for reading.
Bob Colling Jr. View All
31-year old currently living in Syracuse, New York. Longtime fan of the New York Mets, Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Vikings. Avid fan of professional wrestling and write reviews/articles on the product. Usually focusing on the old school wrestling.
Leave a Reply