Tonight, Extreme Championship Wrestling is Born to be Wired! The Franchise Players take on their bitter rivals, The Triple Threat, in a six-man, no-rope barbed wire tag team match! Also, the heat continues to boil over between Saturn and Taz when they are forced to tag together against Sabu and Rob Van Dam. All that and much more await you in the heart of Philadelphia, PA tonight!
Extreme Championship Wrestling presents:
ECW Born to be Wired 1997 – 08/09/97 (Philadelphia, PA)
PG-187 w/Mikey Whipwreck Vs. Stevie Richards w/”Hollywood” Nova & The Blue Meanie
Tag Team Match for the ECW Tag Team Championship
The Gangstas (c) Vs. The Prime Time Killers
Three Way Dance
AJ Fatal Vs. Mikey Whipwreck Vs. Axl Rotten
Special Attraction Tag Team Match
Saturn & Taz Vs. Sabu & Rob Van Dam
“Anything But Boring” Danny Doring Vs. Spike Dudley w/Roadkill
Six-Man No-Rope Barbed Wire Tag Team Grudge Match
The Franchise Players Vs. The Triple Threat
The results were as follows:
- Opening Segment: Joey Styles welcomed us to the show and let us know that doctors and a full medical team would be standing closely by for tonight’s show, specifically the main event of the evening. He ran down the rest of our card, making the shocking announcement that the “Human Suplex Machine” Taz would be forced to tag with Saturn to take on the team of Rob Van Dam and Sabu. How would they coexist, let alone take on one of the best teams in ECW!? Only time was going to tell…
- PG-187 had all the momentum going into this as one of ECW’s brightest new talents to hit the scene. He made easy work of a seasoned roster member in Stevie Richards, with Mikey Whipwreck keeping interference to a minimum with his extra set of eyes on the outside! PG-187’s spinning-implant DDT would put the finishing touches on Richards for a three-count. (8:49)
- Thanks in large part to New Jack and Mustafa Saed, the next match of the night was held all around the arena. The restrooms, locker room, and bleachers all starred in their own unique rolls during the match. The action was chaotic, dangerous, and bloody. “Killer” Kronus and his partner “Prime Time” Lee were on the receiving end of another heavy beating, with Kronus’ right eye being heavily damaged from a fire poker that was supplied to New Jack from a member of the crowd! After a brutal contest, the champions were able to hold onto their ECW Tag Team Championship. Following the match, The Prime Time Killers took their frustrations out on the referee. (16:09)
- Commercial break + Hype Central for merchandising information
- AJ Fatal Interview: In his first chance to rip opponents on an ECW microphone, Fatal spoke about his opponents tonight. Fatal mentioned how much he appreciated Whipwreck taking younger talents under his wing, but that he planned to make a statement tonight. As for Rotten, Fatal said getting the chance to get his hands on Rotten was exciting, because he’s known to escalate the violence. Fatal was ready to continue his breakout and was going to use Whipwreck and Rotten to do it tonight!
- In a surprisingly technical bout, Axl Rotten, Mikey Whipwreck, and AJ Fatal all showed off their level of wrestling skills. After deciding to take down the more violent opponent together, Mikey Whipwreck was able to put down Axl Rotten with a Whipper-Snapper to eliminate him from the match. When it came down to a one-on-one contest, Mikey was out to prove this younger star a thing or two in respect. After a solid beatdown, Fatal was able to get a shocking pin over Whipwreck when he reversed the pressure in a cradle pin and Whipwreck’s shoulders were counted down for three! After the match, Fatal offered a familiar handshake to his mentor, but this time, Mikey Whipwreck did not accept it. Stunned, Fatal watched as he dropped off the apron and headed for the back. (11:02)
- Commercial break + Hardcore Heaven 1997 announced as being held in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, at the War Memorial on August 17th!
- After a warm welcome for Sabu and his partner Rob Van Dam, the ECW Television Champion, Saturn, made his entrance and awaited the arrival of his forced partner, the “Human Suplex Machine” Taz. When Taz never appeared, Sabu and RVD went to work on the champ. Tables were quick to come into play, as Sabu ate one after a missed Arabian Facebuster off the top with a chair, but RVD was able to land a splash onto Saturn through a table moments later. After a brief flurry from Saturn and a near pin on Rob Van Dam, the assault on the champion continued and his odds of another comeback came to a close. Just as it looked to be all over, Taz walked to ringside to his entrance music and got into the ring to make quick work of his opponents. Once Saturn got back to his feet, he was met with a T-Bone Tazplex from his partner for his troubles. This left an opening for RVD to hit a Five-Star Frog Splash off the top for a tainted win as Taz made his way to the back before the three count finished. (14:44)
- Commercial break + Main event hype video package is played.
- “Anything But Boring” Danny Doring Interview: Doring gave a quick interview about being derailed following a lose and break of his winning streak. Tonight, he was going to refocus and give the people what they want, a star they can believe in, someone they can count on to get the job done! He wasn’t going to let his good looks, sparkling personality, or ability to win to rub off on Spike Dudley tonight. Doring picked on Spike Dudley, say he and his rekindled love with his long-lost partner gave them something in common, being LOSERS. With that, “Anything But Boring” signed off with a wink.
- After a back-and-forth match, Doring wasn’t able to fulfill his own promise of another victory. Instead, Spike Dudley fought him to the bitter end until an Acid Drop put Doring down for the count. Roadkill came in to pick the bones and hit a huge Samoan Drop on a lifeless Doring, much to chagrin of Spike Dudley. Dudley pushed Roadkill, who apologized to him and agreed that he had gone overboard as the two exited together. (6:56)
- Commercial break + Live event and ticket info was given.
- In the main event, Bam Bam Bigelow, Lance Storm, and Mike Awesome defeated “The Franchise” Shane Douglas, “No Gimmicks Needed” Chris Candido, and Chris Chetti in the barbed wire six-man tag match. Early in the match, Chris Chetti lacerated his forearm and was taken from the match early by the medical staff. Down a man, the Franchise Players were at an extreme disadvantage. A Bam Bam Sault, Awesome Bomb, and finally a Single Leg Boston Crab did Candido in and he was forced to submit while his remaining partner, Douglas, was tangled in the barbed wire. (21:20)