Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Main Event
From: Orlando, FL
1.)Arn Anderson defeated WCW Television Champion Johnny B. Badd to win the title
2.)Harlem Heat defeated Two Unknown Jobbers
3.)Alex Wright defeated Barry Houston
4.)Sting fought Avalanche to a no contest
1. After Bobby Heenan and Eric Bischoff hype up the Badd/Anderson rematch, the show opens with that rematch as the WCW Television Championship is on the line. Badd retained over Anderson at Starrcade with a roll up. Also, the fans are allowed to vote for who wrestles in the main event.
2. Backstage, Mean Gene is in the heel locker room. Avalanche, the Butcher and the Stud Stable are the guys eligible to be voted for. Tony Schiavone is in the babyface locker room. Sting, Dustin Rhodes, Guardian Angel and Jim Duggan are the men the fans can vote for. Pretty obvious who will win this vote.
3. Arn attacks Badd before the bell clubbing away on the champ. Anderson stomps away on Badd and catapults Johnny throat first across the bottom rope. Arn delivers a shoulder ram to Badd’s midsection to keep upper hand Johnny comes off the ropes to hit a head scissors! The fans are red hot for this show. Badd clotheslines Anderson to the floor and hits a slingshot cross body on the floor! Arn goes for a piledriver on the floor, but Johnny counters with a backdrop. Badd heads to the top rope to hit Arn with a double axe handle back in the ring. Arn bails to the floor but is met with right hands by the champ. Arn misses a clothesline and hits the ring post shoulder first. Johnny drops Arn across he top rope arm first and stomps away on the challenger briefly. Badd gets a near fall after a backdrop. Badd continues his offense with a dropkick for a two count. The champ nails Arn with a clothesline in the corner but can’t get a three count. Anderson is begging off, but Badd doesn’t care. Johnny slows the match down working on Anderson’s left knee. Johnny hits Anderson with a knee lift and goes to the top where he hits a sunset flip but Col. Parker gets on the apron to cause a distraction. Badd avoids Arn and drops him with a left hand but Parker saves Arn by putting his foot on the bottom rope. Badd goes after Parker! Arn shoulder blocks Badd and is shoved onto Badd by Parker, who is also holding Johnny’s leg down! The referee makes the count and we got ourselves a new champion! (***. The firs several minutes of the match were really good and full of energy. It seemed like once it slowed down, Badd got really confused and couldn’t put together great offense. Still, it was a good television match and it’s always fun to see a title change.)
4. Mean Gene conducts an interview with Johnny B. Badd. Johnny is obviously upset about the loss and talks about hitting Arn with the left hook. The referee comes over and he looks confused as to why he is over here. Badd already wants a rematch. The referee called what he saw and Arn is the new champion. Johnny is confident that Anderson will not get up next time he hits him with his left hook. Gene wants the fans to call the WCW Hotline for Badd to get a rematch.
5. Backstage, Tony Schiavone is with the babyface locker room. We hear from the babyfaces telling us they want a piece of the heel they are feuding with.
6. The WCW World Tag Team Champions Stars and Stripes tell Harlem Heat that they will be paying for their actions.
7. Backstage, Mean Gene is with the heel locker room. They cut the same type of promos that the babyface side had just provided earlier.
8. To the surprise of no one, it’s Avalanche vs. Sting to close the show. Sting starts the match with a series of right hands but Avalanche gets a few shots in to knock the fan favorite off his feet. Sting is tossed to the mat and choked by the big man. Avalanche scoop slams Sting and drops an elbow followed by a leg drop. Sting manages to kick-out on a cover, though. Sting battles back with right hands. Avalanche stops Sting with shoulder rams in the corner. Avalanche locks in a bear hug Sting breaks free but is caught as he leaps off the middle rope. Avalanche rams Sting back into a corner. In the corner, Avalanche rams his backside into Sting’s midsection. Sting tries to fight out of the corner and goes for a scoop slam but the big man lands on top for a near win. Avalanche steps on Sting casually. Avalanche drives his knee into Sting’s midsection and hits a splash in the corner. Sting hits the Stinger Splash and manages to scoop slam Avalanche! Sting tries to lock in the Scorpion Death Lock but that brings out the Butcher and Kevin Sullivan to make the save. Sting is beaten up until the Guardian Angel comes out with a chair alongside Dustin Rhodes and Jim Duggan! (*1/2. A basic match that had some hot action towards the end of it. The bullshit finish is expected in this situation. Nonetheless, I enjoyed moments of the contest.)
A strong show this week. It featured a title change and two feature matches. You can’t go wrong with that. I have to give it a thumbs up this week. Nice job, WCW.
Thanks for reading.
31-year old currently living in Syracuse, New York. Longtime fan of the New York Mets, Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Vikings. Avid fan of professional wrestling and write reviews/articles on the product. Usually focusing on the old school wrestling.