WWF RAW 4/17/1995
Written by: Bob Colling
World Wrestling Federation presents RAW
From: Poughkeepsie, NY
1.) Jean Pierre Lafitte defeated Duke Droese
2.) Doink the Clown defeated Roy Raymond
3.) WWF World Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & Yokozuna defeated Bob Holly & 1-2-3 Kid to retain titles
4.) Henry Godwinn defeated Rich Myers
1. Footage from yesterday’s Action Zone is aired. Ted DiBiase announced that Psycho Sid as the newest member of the Million Dollar Corporation.
2. Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler talk about the announcement and hype up the WWF World Tag Team Championship match taking place later on.
3. Jean Pierre Lafitte is better known as Quebecer Pierre but is now under a new pirate gimmick. He had a competitive match with the resident trash man Duke Droese. Droese had the early advantage with basic offense such as a scoop slam, clothesline and dropkick. However, Lafitte was able to fight back hitting a swinging neck breaker and tied Droese up in the ropes to splash him two times. Late in the match, Droese missed a diving head butt. That mistake allowed Lafitte to hit a side slam and hit a swanton bomb off the top. It was a surprisingly entertaining match considering it involved Droese.
4. A video of Bob Backlund hanging out in Florida is aired. He stresses the importance of knowledge.
5. Doink the Clown took care of Roy Raymond after hitting a top rope Whoopee Cushion. Dink also hit a middle rope Whoopee Cushion before the pin was made.
6. Todd Pettengill hosts the In Your House Report. He hypes up the main event that will see WWF World Champion Diesel defend against Psycho Sid in Syracuse, NY.
7. Holly and Kid controlled Owen Hart to open the WWF World Tag Team Championship match by working on his arm for a few moments. Yokozuna couldn’t get anything going early on either, until Owen pulled down the top rope to send Holly to the floor. Owen rammed Holly into the ring post to give himself and Yokozuna the advantage. Holly kicks out after a snap suplex by Owen and almost steals the win with a backslide. Holly is sent to the floor again by Yokozuna where Owen slams Holly. Holly battles back by countering a superplex and nearly pins Owen yet again. Kid gets the hot tag and cleans house hitting several kicks. Kid hits Owen with a slingshot twisting dive on the floor. Yokozuna catches Kid on a springboard off the top rope and hit’s a belly to belly suplex to retain the titles. It was a decent tag team title match, but it actually could’ve been cut down a few minutes. I thought the Holly beat down went on for far too long.
8. Henry Godwinn plants Rich Myers with the Slop Drop to continue his win streak since debuting in the WWF.
9. We see photos of Alundra Blayze recovering from a broken nose she suffered thanks to Bertha Faye.
10. Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler talk about possible dissension in the Million Dollar Corporation because of Bam-Bam Bigelow not shaking hands with the other members when Sid was announced as the newest member.
Final Thoughts: It was an average show this week. I’m interested in the Jean Pierre Lafitte character, mainly because I think he is a good wrestler and hope he gets to work with other top level guys. The featured bout for 1995 standards was good, but it would’ve been even better had the Holly beat down been cut a few minutes. Plus, I thought it was weird that the smaller partner, 1-2-3 Kid, was chosen to come in for the hot tag. Anyway, the show could’ve been a lot worse.
Thanks for reading.