Written by: Bob Colling
World Championship Wrestling presents Saturday Night
From: Atlanta, GA
1.) WCW World Tag Team Champions the Nasty Boys defeated Larry Santo & Otis Apollo
2.) Jim Steele defeated Ron Vegas
3.) The Patriot defeated Ricky Santana
4.) Harlem Heat defeated 2 Cold Scorpio & Marcus Alexander Bagwell by count-out
5.) Vader defeated Chris Sullivan, Bill Payne, Otis Apollo & Ricky Tango
6.) Thunder & Lightning defeated Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker & Ron Oates
7.) The Boss defeated Jake Stevens
8.) Paul Orndorff defeated Matt Shepard
9.) Brian Pillman defeated the Mongolian Mauler
1. The Boss opens the show and talks about being the referee tomorrow night. He made a vow to protect and serve. He is going to call the match between Vader and Flair right down the middle. He warns Vader to not press his luck with the Boss.
2. Mean Gene interviewed Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne. They are meeting the Nasty Boys tomorrow night for the tag straps. Payne tells us that they have been thinking about the match and says the champs must be destroyed. Jack cracks a joke about the germs in Missy Hyatt’s mouth having to be destroyed. He asks her to clean her mouth before kissing them next time. Jack suggests the champs get Band-Aids and aspirin for their match tomorrow night.
3. The fans are chanting for Hyatt to brush their teeth. It looks like the fans were given a bunch of toothbrushes to get the point across.
4. The Boss says he isn’t going to be the typical referee and isn’t scared of any man. He doesn’t care about either Flair or Vader. He is going to make sure there is a winner or a loser. We keep getting comments from the Boss, we get it, he is the special referee.
5. WCW Television Champion Lord Steven Regal issues a challenge to the Patriot for next week on the program if Patriot has the guts.
6. Booker and Bagwell kick off the first feature bout of the night. Bagwell gets slapped in the face and doesn’t do anything about it. Bagwell tries a few pin attempts but that’s not going to work so early into the bout. Scorpio gets out of a press slam attempt by Ray but doesn’t get out of a power slam moments later. Bagwell dropkicks Ray twice and gets a near fall as Booker elbow drops Ray and Harlem Heat is dropkicked to the floor. Stevie is worked over by Scorpio and Bagwell. Scorpio dropkicks Booker after using his leg to take Booker down to the mat. Booker missed a splash in the corner but still dropped Scorpio with a clothesline. Bagwell tags in and cleans house until he runs into a big boot in the corner. Ray clotheslines Marcus from the apron to help out Booker. Scorpio cleans house with kicks and a cross body. Scorpio hits a moonsault on Booker but here comes Ron Simmons. Bagwell dropkicks Simmons off the apron and Scorpio takes Simmons out with a dive over the top to the floor! Scorpio is counted out as he hit the guard railing. (*1/2. A basic match between these two teams. Scorpio’s dive was neat, but that’s about it.)
7. Mean Gene talks to Vader. Vader considers Flair’s win at Starrcade to be a Christmas miracle. Superbrawl IV will be Vader’s revenge, apparently.
8. Mean Gene interviewed Rick Rude, Paul Orndorff, Steve Austin and Col. Robert Parker. Parker believes he has assembled the greatest six man tag team of all time for the Thunder Cage. Orndorff either seriously forgot the opponents or he just doesn’t care. Rude is going to take care of Sting tomorrow night. Austin says that Sting, Pillman and Dustin were dumb enough to sign a contract to fight them. Austin tells them they are in for a fight of their life.
9. Mauler rams Pillman face first into his boot that is pointed, similar to Iron Sheik’s boots. Pillman fights back with a leaping clothesline and chases Parker on the floor to the backstage area. Pillman celebrated knocking Mauler off his feet. Pillman delivers a double axe handle from the top and goes for a sunset flop but Mauler just sits down. Mauler hits a leg drop but doesn’t cover Pillman. Mauler misses a knee drop and Pillman delivers several chops. Pillman hits a missile dropkick and wins the match. (1/4*. Well, at least Pillman won, right? Mauler is just all kinds of awful.)
10. Mean Gene is with the WCW World Champion Ric Flair to close the program. They take a look at Flair beating Vader at Starrcade for the belt. He says his miracle can’t be taken away from him. They both want the tag of being called the champ. He tells Vader that he isn’t the man, but instead knows the man! He wants Vader to come and get it tomorrow night at Superbrawl in the cage.
Jeesh, what a rough patch of shows lately for Saturday Night. Nothing good happening here as it was more of a “Hey, buy the pay per view tomorrow night” kind of show. This one gets a thumbs down from me.
Thanks for reading.
31-year old currently living in Syracuse, New York. Longtime fan of the New York Mets, Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Vikings. Avid fan of professional wrestling and write reviews/articles on the product. Usually focusing on the old school wrestling.