We are just four nights removed from the largest night in Extreme Championship Wrestling history. The breaking news is rampant tonight and hopefully this episode of ECW Resurgence will be able to get it all out to you! At Barely Legal, new champions were crowned, mainstays exited, and pay-per-view went extreme!
ECW RESURGENCE 06/19/97 (Philadelphia, PA)
1. Opening segment: Joey Styles is in the ring, microphone in hand. After a thunderous ECW chant, Styles began. “Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ECW Resurgence and tonight we have A LOT to get through. The night of June fifteenth nineteen ninety-seven will as a night of professional wrestling history as pay-per-view television was taken to the extreme! There are a lot of rumors and truths to be settled tonight, so lets get right down to it. At this time, before I am rudely interrupted by somebody back there, I’d like to bring out the “Ravishing” one, Rick Rude.” With his cue, Rude sauntered out to the ring pleased with himself as he spat in a fan’s direction. After a brief pause, Rude began. “What I’d like to have right now, Joey Styles, is to have all these ugly, know-it-all, Philadelphia pencil-necks stand up and show a real man some respect!” In place of respect, Rude garnered a healthy array of boos. “Now, the reason I’m here tonight is simple. After witnessing the main event of Barely Legal a few nights ago, my client and I have decided that it will be Sabu, the ECW Heavyweight Champion, that will have the honor and pleasure of facing him at Heatwave 1997, one month from now on July nineteenth.” With that Rude dropped his microphone and exited without releasing further information. Joey Styles picked up where Rude left off. “Well, there you have it… I guess Rick Rude’s client, whoever he may be, will face Sabu on July nineteenth at Extreme Championship Wrestling’s Heatwave!
2. ECW Roster Update: A brief graphic is presented with information on who has come and gone since the fall out of Barely Legal. The list reads as follows:
- RAVEN HAS SIGNED A LONG-TERM CONTRACT WITH WCW AFTER BEING BANNED FROM ECW DUE TO HIS LOSS AT BARELY LEGAL 1997.
- ECW HAS SIGNED “THE MAIN MAN” TRACY SMOTHERS.
- “THE FRANCHISE” SHANE DOUGLAS SUFFERED A SEVERE CONCUSSION AT THE HANDS OF BAM BAM BIGELOW AT BARELY LEGAL 1997. HE WILL BE OUT FOR APPROXIMATELY FIVE WEEKS.
- TERRY FUNK WILL BE LEAVING ECW FOR THE WWF NEXT MONTH DUE TO CERTAIN FINANCIAL CONSTRAINTS.
- ECW HAS SIGNED THE YOUNG UPSTART PG-187 (FORMERLY KNOWN AS ALDO MONTOYA OF THE WWF).
- ECW HAS SIGNED ECW HOUSE OF HARDCORE TRAINEE AJ FATAL TO A FULL-TIME CONTRACT.
3. Looking for his eighth consecutive victory tonight, Danny Doring held an open-challenge for anybody willing to face him in the back. Out marched little Spike Dudley, one half of the former ECW Tag Team Champions. Spike caught Doring by surprise, as it was obvious that Doring underestimated the runt of the Dudley litter. Dudley was really able to bring it to Doring until Spike’s former partner Roadkill appeared ringside. Roadkill reached the ring just in time to punch Spike square in the face in the middle of an Acid Drop. Spike fell limb and Doring capitalized by bridging Spike into a pin after they both fell back to the match due to the disrupted move. Thanks to Roadkill, Danny Doring was given his eighth win tonight. After letting Doring leave, Roadkill grabbed a microphone and jumped into the ring. “Spike, I hope your starting to realize why I’m upset with you. It was you that caused us to the the ECW Tag Team Championships! I did all I could for our team and you blew it! Spike, you better continue to watch over your shoulder, because until you realize what you costed me, I will continue to dismantle you!” Spike slowly returned to his feet only to be thrown into a corner and splashed by Roadkill, just like at Barely Legal. (8:38)
4. Commercial break + A highlight video package of ECW Barely Legal 1997 is presented.
5. Taz w/Bill Alfonso Interview: Taz did all his own talking while Bill Alfonso paced in the background. “Saturn, you took one of the best in this business to his limit at Barely Legal. I do respect you. That doesn’t mean that we’re friends, though. If you’re still the same man I fought on the fifteenth, I have no problem givin’ you a rematch. Not only do I need to prove to you that I can beat you again, I need to prove to the big mouths that you were just all heart the first time around. Nothing more. Next time around Saturn, If I can’t make you submit in five minutes or less, I’ll just give you this damn belt!” You think you can hang with that challenge? You think you can hang with “The Human Suplex Machine”? You’ll be lucky if you survive…”
6. “The Main Man” Tracy Smothers defeated Pitbull #1 while being accompanied by Louie Spicolli and Little Guido. With only Pitbull #2 in his corner, Pitbull #1 stood at a disadvantage against the wild veteran. As the two traded punches, it became obvious that throwing fists with Smothers wasn’t the best course of action for Pitbull #1. After a few big moves, Pitbull #1 gained a little momentum before getting stopped cold with a Jaw Jacker. Pitbull #2 pulled Pitbull #1 out of the ring before Spicolli and Guido got in the to do a further number on him. (9:13)
7. Commercial break + ECW Hype Central for merchandising information.
8. The Gangstas Interview: New Jack and Mustafa Saed stood in a stairwell with the camera in front of them. New Jack started the interview off. “Well, well, well… I know ya’ll missed me. While the Five-O is off my back, I’m ready to set my sights on some new punks. I gotta’ get some frustrations out dog and it just so happens that Lance Storm and Mike Awesome are what ECW is offerin’ as a tag team these days… Damn, New Jack has been gone too long! Sorry excuses don’t measure up, so if anybody is in line for the belts, its The Gangstas. Try and cut The Gangstas in line and The Gangstas will cut you…” Mustafa picked right up where New Jack left off. “Listen up Triple Threat, we got your number. We beat your asses at Barely Legal so the question is, where will The Gangstas beat up The Triple Threat next? Well, ya’ll will find out soon enough. Stay outta’ our way boys if you know what is good for ya’, we marchin’ towards the gold now!”
9. Saturn defeated Mikey Whipwreck in a really solid singles competition. Mikey has been stacking up some big time wins lately so, before Saturn got his rematch with Taz for the ECW Television Championship, he had to go through Mikey Whipwreck. A good fast-paced match was held throughout the match. Mikey went toe-to-toe with Saturn mat-wise. He pulled out a few high-risk moves, only being able to connect with one or two. Saturn did his homework as far as that area went. Mikey surely didn’t go underestimated, as he usually does, which probably gave Saturn the edge going into this one. It would be a Death Valley driver complements of Saturn that would do Mikey in tonight. (13:20)
10. Commercial break + ECW Roster information is presented again.
11. Bam Bam Bigelow Interview: Bam Bam Bigelow is seen sitting inside a limousine before he begins to speak. “Such a shame, Shane. I just heard the news, man. Severe concussion? Ouch. I also heard the good doctor proscribed five weeks of couch time for ya’. That is rough and if I were you, I’d be pretty upset. But, hey man, no need to worry! Me, Storm and Awesome will keep the spotlight nice and warm for ya’ until you get back. And, “Franchise”, you better believe we’ll be waiting…” With a sip of champagne and a crushing of the glass in his hand, Bam Bam gave a smirk before the camera faded out.
12. Tommy Dreamer and Terry Funk defeated Sabu and Rob Van Dam in a special tag team match main event. Funk and Sabu worked against each other for the majority of the match while Van Dam had his hands full with Dreamer. In a sense, this one was two singles matches happening at once. So much so, that at one point Funk thought Dreamer had been laid out on the floor and mistakenly hit him with a chair when he turned around expecting Rob Van Dam. With Dreamer stunned, Sabu dropkicked the chair into Funk’s face, slapped on the Camel Clutch and allowed Van Dam to scale to the top turnbuckle with a chair in hand. Before Van Dam was able to hit the Van Daminator though, Tommy Dreamer recovered, grabbed the chair from Van Dam, and hit him off the turnbuckle causing him to crash chest first across the guardrail. With Van Dam out of the picture, Dreamer took the chair and leveled Sabu who still had Funk in a Camel Clutch. With Sabu dazed, Dreamer hit a quick Dreamer Driver on him for the pin. (16:27)