What’s in store for the WWF in 1994?! Find out!
WWF RAW 1/3/1994 (Poughkeepsie, NY)
1. Ron Simmons defeated Hank Iron in 2:10 following a spine buster. During the match, Jim Cornette called in telling the announcers that at the Royal Rumble we will not see the fairy tell ending of the hero overcoming his bitter rival. Instead, evil will win and Crush will rip the hearts out of all the Simmons fans.
2. Kings Court w/Shawn Michaels: Jerry Lawler ripped on the crowd to begin the segment saying that Poughkeepsie, NY sure does smell like poo and he figures thatâ€™s the origin of the town. Lawler introduces his guest, the man who will defeat Bret Hart at the Royal Rumble and prevent Hart from regaining the Million Dollar Mansion, Shawn Michaels! Michaels walks down the aisle avoiding contact with fans while he plugged his nose to insult the fans even more. Michaels starts off telling Lawler that he has never been able to beat Bret Hart in a singles match in his career, but he has evolved as a wrestler and believes that he truly has the necessary tools to be the top guy in the World Wrestling Federation. He talks about Bret’s drama with losing the WWF World Championship, and then not being able to provide for his poor family. Michaels says that Hart will not have to wait for WrestleMania X, because he will not make it there. Hell, he will not make it to the Royal Rumble because his bodyguard and friend Diesel will surely break Bret Hart in half on WWF Superstars this week. “Hitman, I hope you are ready for a long life of sorrow because your days as being the best are over!”
3. WWF World Tag Team Champions Steiner Brothers defeated John Paul/Scott Taylor in 3:04 when Rick pinned Paul following a bulldog.
4. Vince McMahon Phone Call: While Vince McMahon is promoting the main event, he is told someone has called into the show and it is urgent. McMahon takes the call and it is Henry Holmes who is Hulk Hogan’s agent. Holmes thanks McMahon for taking his call. Holmes announces that Hulk Hogan will be at the Royal Rumble to formally respond to Ric Flair’s statements from the Survivor Series. McMahon freaks out at the announcement that Hulk Hogan will be at the Royal Rumble!
5. Yokozuna defeated Eric Gilbert in 1:44 following the Bonsai Drop. During the bout, Tatanka shared some pre-tape comments to promote their match next week. Tatanka said “as they say, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Next week, Yokozuna you will fall to the Native American!”
6. Royal Rumble Report: Todd Pettengill promoted the Royal Rumble which happens on January 23rd. He runs down the card which will see the following. WWF World Champion Lex Luger defend against Mr. Perfect in a no disqualification match. WWF Intercontinental Champion Rick Martel defend against Razor Ramon. WWF World Tag Team Champions Steiner Brothers defend against the Heavenly Bodies. Ron Simmons will take on Crush. Bret Hart squares off against Shawn Michaels. Lastly, Todd promotes the Royal Rumble match and announces several more guys competing in the match which are Marty Jannetty, The Kamikaze Kid, Quebecer Jacques, Quebecer Pierre and Ted DiBiase. DiBiase shared some pre-tape comments saying that he isn’t worried about Bret Hart since Shawn Michaels will take care of him. DiBiase is turning his attention to the WWF World Championship and says he will eliminate all the poor losers over the top rope and make the main event the million dollar main event at WrestleMania X!
7. WWF Intercontinental Champion Rick Martel defeated Randy Savage in a non-title match in 10:41 when Tamara crotched Savage on the top rope and allowed Martel to pull Savage off the top and roll him up for the cheap win. After the match, Martel tried to put the Boston Crab on Savage but Razor Ramon entered the ring and scared Martel away. Ramon backed up and ended up bumping into Savage. Ramon and Savage stared at each other until Savage put his hand out for a handshake. Ramon looked around briefly before accepting Savage’s hand!
Next week on RAW: Yokozuna will take on Tatanka in singles action. Can Tatanka overcome the enormous Yokozuna or will mighty Yokozuna continue his dominance as the Royal Rumble gets closer?
WWF Superstars 1/8/1994
1. Owen Hart defeated Beau Beverly in 5:14 following a missile dropkick.
2. Mr. Perfect Interview: Jim Ross conducted a sit down interview with the number one contender, Mr. Perfect. Ross talks about the year long journey that Perfect has encountered and how he can full a lifelong dream of winning the WWF World Championship in just a few weeks. Perfect recalls winning the Royal Rumble last year, when no one considered him as a favorite. Then, having to deal with being cheated out of his spot by Ric Flair and seeing him main event WrestleMania. Perfect notes that at WrestleMania IX Lex Luger was the better man, but their meeting at the Royal Rumble is much different. “This time, it’s for the greatest prize in the world. I have came so far, so close to achieving greatness that at the Royal Rumble I will not fail I will prevail and win the WWF World Championship for the perfect ending to long journey.”
3.the Smoking Gunns defeated Jim Powers/Mike Bell in 3:53 when Billy pinned Bell.
4. Heavenly Bodies Interview: Vince McMahon conducted an interview with the Heavenly Bodies and Jim Cornette regarding their upcoming title match against the WWF World Tag Team Champions, Steiner Brothers at the Royal Rumble. Cornette puts over his team as the greatest tag team to ever compete since they have won titles in every promotion, region or territory that they have ever competed in. “At the Royal Rumble, the Doctor of Desire, Tom Pritchard and the Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray will continue to add championships to collection at the expense of the Michigan meat head Steiner Brothers, I promise you that!”
5. Ludvig Borga defeated Mike Lewis in 2:16 following a shoulder breaker. During the bout, Chris Benoit called in saying that he proved that he was better than Borga and Jim Cornette knew that. However, Benoit wants the records to show he made Borga tapped out. So, Benoit issues a challenge to Borga for another match next week on Superstars!
6. Royal Rumble Report: Todd Pettengill promoted the Royal Rumble which happens on January 23rd. He runs down the card which will see the following. WWF World Champion Lex Luger defend against Mr. Perfect in a no disqualification match. WWF Intercontinental Champion Rick Martel defend against Razor Ramon. WWF World Tag Team Champions Steiner Brothers defend against the Heavenly Bodies. Ron Simmons will take on Crush. Bret Hart squares off against Shawn Michaels. Lastly, Todd promotes the Royal Rumble match and announces several more guys competing in the match which are, Brian Knobbs, Jerry Saggs, Fatu, Samu and Jerry Lawler. Pre-tape comments by Jerry Lawler are aired. Lawler says that it will only be fitting for royalty to win the Royal Rumble and that he will toss all the peasants out the ring so that the King will reign supreme!
7. Bret Hart defeated Diesel by disqualification in 14:39 when Shawn Michaels entered the ring and super kicked Hart as he tried to put the Sharpshooter on Diesel. After the match, Owen Hart and Jim Neidhart ran down to the ring to make the save for Bret. Michaels and Diesel head up the aisle way where DiBiase appeared and paid them with a roll of one hundred dollar bills.
Next week on Superstars: Chris Benoit will compete against Ludvig Borga in singles action. Also, Razor Ramon competes against one half of the Heavenly Bodies Tom Pritchard!
WWF Wrestling Challenge 1/9/1994
1. the Undertaker defeated Samu in 5:19 following a tombstone pile driver.
2. Bam-Bam Bigelow Interview: Bam-Bam Bigelow shared some pre-tape comments regarding his non-sanctioned match against the Undertaker at Madison Square Garden on January 17th and the Royal Rumble six days later on January 23rd. Bigelow tells us that he has beaten the Undertaker before and kept him away from the WWF for the better part of five months after WrestleMania IX. He battled the Undertaker to his limit at SummerSlam but his fire to end the Undertaker will not be put out. On January 17th, we will see the end of the Undertaker and then on January 23rd he will defeat twenty nine other men and main event the Royal Rumble cause he is the toughest, baddest and meanest man in the world!
3. WWF World Champion Lex Luger defeated Mark Starr in 2:35 with the Torture Rack.
4. the Kamikaze Kid/Marty Jannetty defeated Glenn Ruth/Russ Greenberg in 2:34 when Jannetty pinned Ruth following the Rocker Dropper.
5. Royal Rumble Report: Todd Pettengill promoted the Royal Rumble which happens on January 23rd. He runs down the card which will see the following. WWF World Champion Lex Luger defend against Mr. Perfect in a no disqualification match. WWF Intercontinental Champion Rick Martel defend against Razor Ramon. WWF World Tag Team Champions Steiner Brothers defend against the Heavenly Bodies. Ron Simmons will take on Crush. Bret Hart squares off against Shawn Michaels. Lastly, Todd promotes the Royal Rumble match with the winner competing in the main event at the Royal Rumble.
6. Jeff Jarrett defeated Mo in 8:21 following a jumping DDT. After the match, Scott Norton and Mabel had a stare down and began to exchange blows as the show came to an end.
Next week on Wrestling Challenge: IRS will compete against Jim Neidhart. Also, we will see Bam-Bam Bigelow in action!
31-year old currently living in Syracuse, New York. Longtime fan of the New York Mets, Chicago Bulls and Minnesota Vikings. Avid fan of professional wrestling and write reviews/articles on the product. Usually focusing on the old school wrestling.